BROOKLYN, N.Y., Dec. 17, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Winter temperatures can cause adverse damage to the home and homeowners in Brooklyn and Manhattan and similar climates must realize the impact of taking preventative steps to prevent frozen pipe bursts. Petri Plumbing and Heating, Inc., a leading plumbing company serving Brooklyn since 1906, cautions New York City residents on the damage of frozen pipes and offers notable advice on how to prevent frozen pipes from bursting inside homeowners' kitchens, bathrooms and other areas of the home.
"Though homeowners might find it a hassle to take proper precautions, taking the necessary steps to prevent your pipes from freezing cuts down the risk of a pipe burst during these cold temperatures," said Michael Petri, owner of Petri Plumbing. "It will also save them a lot money in the long run."
The interior areas to watch out specifically for frozen pipes are in residents' kitchen, bathrooms and basement.
"Many times homeowners focus on the exterior parts of their home when preparing for winter," said Chris Petri, operations and technician assistant. "While it is important to take proper precautions outside, there still needs to be a focus on the interior pipes as those can cause massive amounts of damage."
Here are a few tips for homeowners to prevent pipes from bursting in the kitchen, bathroom and basement:
- Kitchen Pipe Prevention
- Keep cabinet doors under faucets open at night to allow warm air to circulate
- Consider investing in a pipe sleeve or heating tape to provide insulation
- Allow water to slightly drip from the faucet to prevent freezing
2. Bathroom Pipe Prevention
- Clean sink and tub drains on a regular basis to avoid hair and dirt clogging up that will prevent water from draining properly
- Leave the sink and bath faucet with a slight trickle – dripping water will keep pipes from freezing
3. Basement Pipe Prevention
- Seal basement as tightly as possible to keep cold air out
- Avoid using antifreeze products on pipes. They are not only ineffective, but harmful to the environment and your family's health.
- Wrap all exposed pipes with foam insulation
If a pipe does end up freezing, it is important to locate the water valve and cut it off. Petri's proven system for preparing homes for fierce winters has helped countless Brooklyn and Manhattan residents save on repairs and utility bills. To find out more about frozen pipe bursts or to have a professional plumber help you with frozen pipes, visit http://www.petriplumbing.com/.
About Petri Plumbing and Heating, Inc.
Petri Plumbing and Heating, Inc. is a family owned and operated business serving Brooklyn and the New York City area. Founded in 1906, the company offers a 100 percent guarantee on all services, upfront pricing, and friendly and knowledgeable Service Experts for all kinds of home and business plumbing and heating needs. Services offered include water and gas pipe leak repair and installation, fixture installations, inspections, boiler repair, water heater installation, complete bathroom, kitchen, laundry & utility room remodeling and more. Petri Plumbing is also licensed and certified by Green Plumbers USA - the first in New York City. For more information, please visit: http://www.petriplumbing.com/
SOURCE Petri Plumbing and Heating, Inc.