NEW YORK, April 11, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Women in Sports & Events (WISE), the leading voice and resource for professional women in the business of sports, announced today the recipients of the 2013 WISE Women of the Year Awards. This year's honorees are:
- Sharon Byers, Senior Vice President, Sports & Entertainment Marketing, Coca-Cola North America
- Danielle Maged, Global Head of Business Development & Partnerships, StubHub
- Carol Stiff, Vice President, Content Program & Integration, espnW
WISE also announced Dick Ebersol, former Chairman of NBC Sports, as the recipient of the 2013 WISE Champion Award, an annual award that is given to a male executive who has championed women in the workplace.
These four distinguished individuals will be honored at the 19th annual WISE Women of the Year Awards Luncheon on Tuesday, June 18 at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York City. The event will be emceed by ESPN SportsCenter anchor, Lindsay Czarniak.
"This year's honorees are not only leaders in the industry with their remarkable contributions but have helped to change the overall sports landscape in media and business," said Kathleen Francis, national president of WISE. "We celebrate their efforts, dedication and commitment to serving as an inspiration to other aspiring women."
The honorees, which were voted on by the WISE membership, were selected based on the following criteria:
- Women who are visible leaders and continue to be a voice for women in the industry;
- Women who break down barriers, help create new opportunities and serve as a resource for other women;
- Women who exemplify professional experience and are role models for others;
- Women with a minimum of 10 years work experience with at least 5 years in the sports and/or events industry.
"Dick Ebersol has been a longtime supporter of women in sports, a fact that is clearly evident by the women he has employed, mentored and featured throughout his career at NBC," added Francis. "When he and his team made the decision in the late 1990s to cover every Olympic competition, he helped to change the paradigm on women's sports by providing greater exposure to female athletes. The Champion Award was created for individuals like Dick who recognize talent, independent of gender, and used his position to help them develop and prosper."
Ebersol was selected as the recipient of the WISE Champion Award based on the following criteria:
- Champions the role of women in the business of sports and events through the successful creation of new jobs, mentoring and networking opportunities;
- Clearly communicates a vision for women in the industry and their continued advancement; and
- Shows consistent commitment to the promotion of women's careers and recognition of their professional accomplishments.
Additional information about the 2013 honorees including their bios, WISE's Women of the Year Luncheon, purchasing tickets and/or sponsorship can be found at www.WISEworks.org.
WISE (Women in Sports & Events) is the leading voice and resource for professional women in the sports. Through ongoing meetings, special events and mentoring programs, WISE aims to offer its members the opportunity to gain valuable industry insights and connections that can give them a competitive advantage in their current position and as they advance in their careers. Founded in 1993, WISE is a membership organization headquartered in New York City with chapters in Atlanta, the San Francisco Bay Area, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Los Angeles, NYC-Metro, Pittsburgh and Washington, DC, as well as Syracuse University's WISE on Campus. To become a member of WISE, please visit www.WISEworks.org.