WASHINGTON, Feb. 19, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- WoodWorks – Wood Products Council has announced the winners of its 2018 Wood Design Awards, which celebrate excellence in wood building design across the U.S. Awards are an opportunity to recognize leaders in the field, and to showcase buildings that exemplify the attributes of wood that make it so appealing.
"It's always interesting to consider what the winning projects say about the state of wood design," said Jennifer Cover, WoodWorks' President and CEO. "Part of that is understanding what drove the design teams to choose wood. Warmth, sustainability and cost are mentioned fairly consistently and 2018 was no exception. But comments this year also emphasized structural performance, the desire to create healthy, resilient and engaging structures, energy efficiency, meeting challenges of scale, and flexible spaces that can be adapted as needs change. It's exciting to see examples of innovative systems and technologies, but this year's projects are a reminder of the many reasons building designers gravitate to wood."
National award categories include:
- Commercial Wood Design – Low-Rise
- Commercial Wood Design – Mid-Rise
- Wood in Government Buildings
- Multi-Family Wood Design
- Wood in Schools
- Institutional Wood Design
- Green Building with Wood
- Beauty of Wood
- Durable & Adaptable Wood Structures
- Jury's Choice – Innovation
Projects were selected by an independent jury that included:
- Kathryn Bedette, AIA, Associate Professor of Architecture, Kennesaw State University
- Tenna Florian, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, Associate Partner, Lake|Flato Architects
- Amado Guevara III, AIA NCARB, Architect and Associate, DLR Group
Chosen from more than 160 nominations, the awards will be presented at Wood Solutions Fairs across the country, beginning with the Central Florida Wood Solutions Fair in Orlando on February 21. Seven projects will also receive Regional Excellence Awards.
Jury's Choice for Wood Innovation: John W. Olver Design Building at UMass Amherst • Amherst, MA
- ARCHITECT: Leers Weinzapfel Associates
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: Equilibrium Consulting and Simpson Gumpertz & Heger (EOR)
- CONTRACTOR: Suffolk
Commercial Wood Design – Low-Rise: Washington Fruit & Produce Company • Yakima, WA
- ARCHITECT: Graham Baba Architects
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: M.A. Wright, LLC
- CONTRACTOR: Artisan Construction
Commercial Wood Design – Mid-Rise: The Grove at Live Oak Bank • Wilmington, NC
- ARCHITECT: LS3P Associates
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: Woods Engineering
- CONTRACTOR: Clancy & Theys Construction
Wood in Government Buildings: Walden Pond Visitor Center • Concord, MA
- ARCHITECT: Maryann Thompson Architects
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: RSE Associates Inc.
- CONTRACTOR: Stutman Contracting Inc.
Multi-Family Wood Design: Lofts at Mayo Park • Rochester, MN
- ARCHITECT: Snow Kreilich Architects
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: Meyer Borgman Johnson
- CONTRACTOR: Welsh Construction
Wood in Schools: Oregon Episcopal School – Lower School • Portland, OR
- ARCHITECT: Hacker
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: ABHT Structural Engineers
- CONTRACTOR: Skanska
Institutional Wood Design: Basecamp Delta • Summit Bechtel Reserve, WV
- ARCHITECT: DIGSAU Architecture
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: CVM
- CONTRACTOR: Swope Construction
Green Building with Wood: Patrons Oxford Insurance Offices • Portland, ME
- ARCHITECT: Scott Simons Architects
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: Becker Structural Engineers
- CONTRACTOR: Zachau Construction Inc.
Beauty of Wood: Cultural Crossing at Portland Japanese Garden • Portland, OR
- ARCHITECT: Hacker with Kengo Kuma and Associates
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: KPFF
- CONTRACTOR: Hoffman Construction Co.
Durable & Adaptable Wood Structures: Painter Barn at Tyler Arboretum • Media, PA
- ARCHITECT: Archer & Buchanan Architecture, Ltd.
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: CVM
- CONTRACTOR: CVMNext
Regional Excellence Winners
L'Angolo Estate • Newberg, OR
- ARCHITECT: LEVER Architecture
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: Schutte Consulting Engineers
- CONTRACTOR: Schommer & Sons
The Loading Dock • Boulder, CO
- ARCHITECT: OZ Architecture
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: KL&A
- CONTRACTOR: Quinlan Construction
GROW at Saint Louis Science Center • St. Louis, MO
- ARCHITECT: Arcturis with Gyo Obata
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: EDM Incorporated
- CONTRACTOR: Interface Construction Corporation
Bronzeville Artist Lofts • Chicago, IL
- ARCHITECT: Wrap Architecture
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: Joseph Farruggia
- CONTRACTOR: Madison Construction
New College House • Philadelphia, PA
- ARCHITECT: Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: CVM
- CONTRACTOR: Intech Construction
State of Massachusetts Public-Use Airport Buildings • Beverly, MA
- ARCHITECT: Fennick McCredie Architecture
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: ARUP
- CONTRACTOR: CMGC Building Corp.
Duke University Student Wellness Center Lobby • Durham, NC
- ARCHITECT: Duda|Paine Architects, PA
- STRUCTURAL ENGINEER: Stewart, Inc.
- CONTRACTOR: Gilbane Building Company
Photos and descriptions of the winning projects are available in the WoodWorks project gallery. High resolution images are available on request.
WoodWorks – Wood Products Council (www.woodworks.org) provides free one-on-one project assistance as well as education and resources related to the code-compliant design of commercial and multi-family wood buildings. WoodWorks field teams have expertise in a wide range of building types, including multi-family/mixed-use, educational, office, commercial low-rise, industrial, civic/recreational, institutional/healthcare and government. We make it easier to design, engineer and construct wood buildings at less cost.
Walden Pond Visitor's Center - Concord, MA
Winner: Wood in Government Buildings Maryann Thompson Architects, photo Chuck Choi
The Grove at Live Oak Bank - Wilmington, NC
Winner: Commercial Wood Design - Mid-Rise LS3P Associates, photo Melva Calder
Washington Fruit & Produce Company - Yakima, WA
Winner: Commercial Wood Design - Low-Rise Graham Baba Architects, photo Kevin Scott
L'Angolo Estate - Newberg, OR
Winner: Regional Excellence LEVER Architecture, photo Jeremy Bittermann
SOURCE WoodWorks - Wood Products Council