CHICAGO, July 18, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- By day, they are soldiers, engineers, teachers, reindeer herders and stay-at-home moms.
But off the clock, they are the everyman (and woman) titans of professional arm-wrestling.
And they return to TV this Tuesday, July 19, in the World Armwrestling League's 2016 Championships, 7 p.m. EST, on ESPN2.
Roughly 10 million people tuned in last summer and got hooked on the world's next big combat sport.
Presented by Muscle Monster Energy Shake, the 2016 Championships out of Las Vegas promise even more athletes and outlandish explosiveness as men and women from across North America and Europe chalk up their hands and battle it out.
Arm-wrestling is a subculture that has thrived around the world for decades. For the second consecutive year the WAL championships will be televised on ESPN, bringing "pulling" into the mainstream.
WAL's 2016 season will feature:
- An entire episode devoted to the WAL Women's Division. Think pulling is only for the guys? Think again. Women from all walks of life throw down to see who is the best across three weight classes.
- Separate episodes featuring the best of men's professional arm-wrestling across four weight classes.
- Six-figures' worth of cash payouts are on the line, as is the chance for winners to hoist the coveted WAL Hammer of Champions, befitting the rugged grit of the victors.
You can catch the biggest event in arm-wrestling history firsthand on the following dates:
- 7 p.m. EST, July 19, ESPN2: WAL 2016 Men's Lightweight Championship.
- 9 p.m. EST, July 26, ESPN2: WAL 2016 Men's Middleweight Championship.
- 7 p.m. EST, Aug. 2, ESPN2: WAL 2016 Men's Heavyweight Championship.
- 10 p.m. EST, Aug. 9, ESPN2: WAL 2016 Men's Superheavyweight Championship.
- 7 p.m. EST, Aug. 17, ESPN2: WAL 2016 Women's Championship.
- 7 p.m. EST, Aug. 23, ESPN2: Best of WAL 2016.
Go to WALStrong.com for our full TV schedule, including re-airings to quench your newly acquired arm-wrestling thirst!
ABOUT THE WAL
Based in Chicago, the World Armwrestling League is the largest and fastest growing professional league in the world, featuring intense matches, a high-energy and up-close fan experience, and the sport's top superstars. We are an inclusive league dedicated to introducing the sport to new arm-wrestlers and encouraging participation at every level, and we believe everyone has the ability to develop the strength, technique and strategy it takes to compete in The Pit
Arm-wrestling is one of our universal forms of competition: virtually everyone has put their elbow on a table and gripped up with a friend or rival. It's an ancient method of score-settling and a universal test of strength. Arm-wrestling combines grit, tactics and mettle in a highly-accessible format that draws competitors from all walks of life, from school teachers to oil rig workers. When you're in The Pit, it's not about what you do or where you come from, it's about one thing: what you're made of.
SOURCE World Armwrestling League