DOLGEVILLE, N.Y., Sept. 27, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Vegetarians and interested individuals from around the globe will be joining the North American Vegetarian Society on October 1st, 2011, for the annual celebration of World Vegetarian Day. Since its inception in 1977, the event has commemorated the health-supporting and life-affirming benefits of vegetarianism. World Vegetarian Day is the annual kick-off of Vegetarian Awareness Month. There are many reasons people choose a vegetarian diet. It has proven health benefits, saves animals' lives and helps to preserve the Earth.
To encourage non-vegetarians to give meatless eating a try, the North American Vegetarian Society has developed a prize-winning contest. Non-vegetarians who pledge to abstain from all meat, fish and fowl during Vegetarian Awareness Month (October) will be entered in a random drawing for cash prizes. The top winner will get $1,000 in cash.
One winner will be chosen in each of the following three categories: One day - $250; One week - $500; One month - $1,000.
People can enter the "Give Vegetarianism a Try" contest at http://www.worldvegetarianday.org
Join us to make the world a better place and we are all winners!
- Reduce the risk of major killers such as heart disease, stroke and cancer while cutting exposure to foodborne pathogens
- Provide a viable answer to feeding the world's hungry through more efficient use of grains and other crops
- Save animals from suffering in factory-farm conditions and from the pain and terror of slaughter
- Conserve vital but limited freshwater, fertile topsoil and other precious resources
- Preserve irreplaceable ecosystems such as rainforests and other wildlife habitats
- Decrease greenhouse gases that are accelerating global warming
- Mitigate the ever-expanding environmental pollution of animal agriculture
Contact: Brian Graff, (518) 568-7970
SOURCE North American Vegetarian Society