SHANGHAI, Dec. 13, 2010 /PRNewswire-Asia/ -- WuXi PharmaTech (NYSE: WX), a leading pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and medical-device research and development outsourcing company, with operations in China and the United States, today announced the winners of its fourth annual Life Science and Chemistry Awards at a ceremony held at the China World Hotel in Beijing.
Awards were given in medicinal chemistry and natural products. Junqi Yan, Vice Chairwoman of the Standing Committee of the 11th National People's Congress of China, Chairwoman of the Central Committee of the China Association for Promoting Democracy, and Dean of the Central Institute of Socialism, and Huaixi Zhang, Vice Chairman of the 10th Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference, presented the awards. They congratulated the winners, encouraging them to continue making important contributions to China's scientific development.
Mrs. Yan served as honorary Chairwoman of the selection panel, which was comprised of nine scholars with extensive expertise in the life science industry:
- Dr. Ge Li, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of WuXi PharmaTech
- Dr. Shuhui Chen, Chief Scientific Officer of WuXi PharmaTech
- Dr. Chengde Wu, Vice President of Medicinal Chemistry of WuXi PharmaTech
- Dr. Tao Guo, Vice President of Medicinal Chemistry of WuXi PharmaTech
- Dr. Kaixian Chen, President of Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Dr. Lihe Zhang, Professor at the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Beijing University
- Dr. Guoqiang Lin, Professor at the Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry and Academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Dr. Xinsheng Yao, Professor at Jinan University and Academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering
- Dr. Naizheng Huang, Professor at the Chinese University of Hong Kong and Academician of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
Seventeen winners were selected through a rigorous, objective, and transparent evaluation process that began in May 2010.
The first prize winners are:
- Zhen Yang from Shenzhen Graduate School of Beijing University
- Hualiang Jiang from Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
The second prize winners are:
- Xinshan Ye from the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Beijing University
- Xiaoming Feng from the College of Chemistry of Sichuan University
- Yizhun Zhu from the School of Pharmacy of Fudan University
- Weidong Zhang from the School of Pharmacy of Second Military Medical University
- Xiang Zhou from the College of Chemistry and Molecular Sciences of Wuhan University
The third prize winners are:
- Renxiao Wang from Shanghai Institute of Organic Chemistry of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Zaipaer Abulizi from the Institute of Materia Medica of the Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences
- Xuegong She from the College of Chemistry and Chemical Engineering of Lanzhou University
- Gongming Cheng from the Department of Chemistry of the Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Guangfu Yang from the College of Chemistry of Huazhong Normal University
- Jianmin Yue from Shanghai Institute of Materia Medica of the Chinese Academy of Sciences
- Haibing Zhou from the College of Pharmacy of Wuhan University
- Ning Jiao from the School of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Beijing University
- Lan Xie from the Institute of Pharmacology and Toxicology of the Academy of Military Medical Sciences
- Xiaoguang Lei from the School of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology of Tianjin University
"I am thrilled to receive the WuXi PharmaTech Life Science and Chemistry Award," said Zhen Yang, one of the first prize winners. "This is one of the most prestigious scientific awards in China and is approved by the Ministry of Science and Technology of China. The award reflects the importance of innovation and social responsibility at WuXi PharmaTech, a company that encourages and supports researchers in chemistry and the life sciences."
"My congratulations to all of the winners," said Dr. Li. "Their talent and hard work show that the sciences have a very bright future in China. With this award, WuXi strives to make another important contribution to China's pharmaceutical R&D. Our mission as a company is to build a fully integrated service platform to help our customers bring life-saving medicines to patients in need faster and more cost-effectively."
SOURCE WuXi PharmaTech (Cayman) Inc