SAN FRANCISCO, July 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- In celebration of Romance Awareness Month, which is observed during the month of August, Zoosk.com, the romantic social network, recently surveyed more than 2,300 Americans including those who are single and in a committed relationship, to gather their thoughts about modern day romance. Zoosk's survey findings show that while the single life may sound glamorous, couples in committed relationships experience more romance in their lives. Specific survey findings include:
Singles may be more carefree, but couples in committed relationships have more romance!
- 71% of couples say their significant other is romantic, while only 41% of singles on the dating scene say the same about their "other."
- 59% of couples are satisfied with the amount of romance in their lives, whereas only 20% of singles say the same.
What is deemed "romantic" changes as your status moves from "single" to "in a relationship."
- Couples prefer a "hug and a kiss" (41%) over a romantic candlelit dinner (39%) as the most romantic gesture from their partner.
- Singles, on the other hand, prefer a candlelit dinner (44%) over a hug and a kiss (32%).
- And while taking out the garbage without being asked is appreciated, only 2% of couples and singles, respectively, say this qualifies as the most romantic thing their partner could do.
Americans agree: romance is important.
- 78% of those polled agree that they consider romance in a relationship to be "very important."
- 20% say it is "somewhat important" and only 2% say it is "not important."
Americans say the most romantic occasion is their anniversary!
- 42% of Americans say that an anniversary is the most romantic occasion with their other half.
- 34% of Americans say a summer vacation delivers the most romance.
- 24% of Americans say Valentine's Day is the most romantic occasion in their lives.
Zoosk recently introduced its Couple Profiles offering, providing a dedicated place for couples to create, store and share their relationship milestones and memories with friends and family. With the ability to share photos and note important dates in the relationship (such as anniversaries, engagements, etc.), couples are able to document their romantic journey (while never again forgetting anniversary and birthday dates!). When members of Zoosk declare they are in a relationship, they are led to a separate area of the site allowing them to create a Couple Profile without the dating functionality that is available to single members.
The Zoosk poll was conducted online, among users of Zoosk who reside in the United States, in July 2012 and fielded 2,304 responses from people who are single and in committed relationships.
Zoosk is the romantic social network that helps members create and share their romantic journeys, with millions of members from around the globe enjoying the service each month. Zoosk provides members at different stages of their romantic journey with a fun and social set of tools such as Romantic Moments, Couple Profiles, and the Personals application. Members can easily access Zoosk's services from its website, its Facebook app, mobile devices, and a downloadable desktop application. Zoosk is available in 25 languages and has members in more than 70 countries. Founded in 2007 by Shayan Zadeh and Alex Mehr, Zoosk, Inc. is based in San Francisco and backed by Canaan Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners, and ATA Ventures.