BELOIT, Wis., Jan. 20, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- FatWallet.com, where millions of online deal hunters go to stack coupons with cash back, announced results from its 2015 TV Buyer Survey* (TNS). The survey reports 26% said they will purchase a new TV this year (38% under age 30) and only Black Friday ranks higher than Super Bowl sales when asked when they're most likely to make a TV purchase. The survey also reveals that their purchasing decisions are influenced most by price (45%), and 1 in 4 now stream the majority of their TV programming.
Key survey results for those that said they will purchase a new TV this year:
- 1 in 4 will buy a new TV during Black Friday, while nearly 1 in 5 will buy during Super Bowl sales. Black Friday was even more popular for those age 30 (38%), while last year's survey ranked the Super Bowl sales as the #1 time to buy a new TV.
- More than half (53%) plan to spend $500+ on a new TV this year (up 18% over 2014), 28% (up 17% over 2014) will spend $700+, 43% with annual income +$75k. 19% (up 26% over 2014) will spend less than $300 on a TV, 33% with annual income under $30k.
- 1 in 4 say they stream the majority of TV programming (43% under 30, 31% of all males), 6 in 10 use cable as main resource (Less than half (46%) of those in the West use cable as their main TV programming source).
- 6 in 10 will buy smart TVs (56%, up 29% over 2014), 11% will buy 4K UHD TVs (nearly 2 to 1, males want 4k over females).
- 4 in 10 want 55" or bigger screen, up 30% over 2014 Mid-size 40-54" TV models are most popular with 45% (56% under age 30), while 31% will buy a new TV 55" or bigger. Only 6% will purchase a new TV 70" or bigger.
- 28% will buy their TV via the internet/mobile (up 21% over 2014), 33% of males vs. only 22% of females. No one under age 30, and no females, said they will buy a TV using a tablet. No one 40 and older, and no males, said they will buy a TV using a smartphone.
"As more consumers look to stream their TV programming, retailers are responding with better pricing on bigger and smarter TV models," stated Brent Shelton, FatWallet online shopping expert. "If you missed the Black Friday TV deals, Super Bowl sales offer shoppers an opportunity to save money upgrading their streaming capabilities and the big game experience." FatWallet features the most current coupons and discounts from hundreds of top retailers, with the bonus of cash back on thousands of electronics, home theater and TV deals, every day of the year.
About FatWallet: As the preferred online coupons and cash back shopping resource for millions of smart consumers, FatWallet.com works closely with 1,700+ retailers like Kohl's, Best Buy, Target and Newegg to publish store discounts, coupon codes and Cash Back rewards to its members. The much celebrated FatWallet forums represent the pulse of an evolving online marketplace where smart consumers gather to share and learn. The FatWallet Deal Hunter app allows mobile shoppers to compare thousands of current deals on-the-go and the new FatWallet Express allows for quick cash back activation while shopping online.
*The national survey conducted online by TNS on behalf of FatWallet.com in January 2015 was fielded among 1,000 adults ages 18 or older.