DALLAS, May 14, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- More Americans now have health insurance than ever before, but that doesn't mean there are fewer gaps in the screening, monitoring, and management of healthcare and chronic disease. Most health plan members believe their plan's communications are impersonal and centered around bills rather than healthcare guidance. The majority of members are either disconnected from or rarely visit their health plans on social media and member portals. Additionally, many members feel they are missing valuable support from their plans around digital health data and price transparency. The findings are based on a survey of 750 insured consumers who have sponsored health insurance. The results are now available in the 2017 HealthMine Health Intelligence Report: Communication and Digital Healthcare Tools.
Here are the key findings from HealthMine's report:
Communication and Insight
- 73% of respondents don't think their insurance plan understands their health very well; 60% want more communication from health plan sponsors not about bills
- 52% of consumers with chronic conditions hear from their health plan just once per year or less about their disease
- 63% of health plan members are disconnected from their plan on social media; but 78% who do follow their health plan on social media say it's helpful
- Just 21% of insureds regularly use their health plan's member portal; only 30% say their plan's member portal helps them answer healthcare questions digitally
Digital Health Tools
- 83% of consumers say they use digital health tools; but only 22% say health plans are utilizing the data to give guidance
Price Transparency Tools
- 39% of consumers say health plan does not offer price transparency tool
Brennan Collins, Vice President of Product at HealthMine said, "Members want one central source for their health information, and health plans can be the hub." He continued, "To more deeply connect with members, it is better if plan sponsors communicate through each member's preferred channels and share health intelligence—not just data. Health Intelligence leverages health data and provides real-time personalized guidance to manage health. Plans that deliver that kind of value will better engage their members."
The 2017 HealthMine Health Intelligence Report: Communication and Digital Healthcare Tools is available here.
About the Survey
The HealthMine Health Plan Intelligence Survey queried 750 insured consumers who are enrolled in a wellness program. The survey was fielded by Survey Sampling International (SSI) in January 2017. Data were collected via an opt-in panel. The margin of error is 4%. Survey Sampling International (SSI) has been the Worldwide Leader in Survey Sampling and Data Collection Solutions, across every mode, for 37 Years.
HealthMine is a leading healthcare technology company that delivers Health Intelligence for plan members and plan sponsors. HealthMine's cloud-based Health Intelligence Solution facilitates better health outcomes and lowers healthcare costs by providing: 1) insight into health status and risk, 2) clinical guidance on necessary health actions, 3) personalized motivation to close gaps in care and 4) measurement of outcomes. The Health Intelligence Solution derives business value from all clinical and lifestyle health data including data from existing wellness programs. HealthMine has more than 1 million users and has saved health plan sponsors more than $100 million in healthcare costs. HealthMine is on the web at www.healthmine.com.