MILPITAS, Calif., Dec. 5, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- ABBYY®, a leading provider of document recognition, data capture and linguistic technologies and professional services, today announced FineReader Pro for Mac, a professional OCR (Optical Character Recognition) application for efficient document scanning and conversion on the Mac platform. The new application allows Mac users to easily edit, share, archive and search through their documents by turning them into popular electronic file formats, as well as effortlessly copy and quote text from scans, PDFs and digital photos.
"Professional grade OCR solutions have not previously been available for the Mac platform, leaving many users to have to deal with scaled down feature sets and miss out on many of the workflow benefits enabled by OCR technology," said Ivan Bodyagin, director of the FineReader Products Department at ABBYY. "FineReader Pro for Mac is designed to provide the functionality and performance to support a wide spectrum of needs, from casual document conversion tasks to rather complex projects, meaning Mac users can finally realize the full benefits of OCR technology."
Aimed to simplify everyday work with documents and images, FineReader Pro for Mac streamlines tasks which have historically been time-consuming for Mac users. The solution provides handy tools for scanning documents and converting images of documents such as scans, photographs and PDFs into popular formats. In addition, it allows users to process and recognize only selected areas on a document to quickly copy and quote information they need without having to process the entire document. FineReader Pro for Mac can also be effectively used to prepare documents for use by various text-to-speech utilities.
Key features include:
- Unmatched OCR Accuracy and Broadest Language Support on Mac - FineReader Pro for Mac is based on ABBYY's award-winning OCR and document conversion technology that delivers up to 99.8 percent accuracy* of character recognition in more than 180 languages including European languages, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Hebrew and Arabic — in any combination..
- Converting to Microsoft® Word, PDF, and Apache OpenOffice Writer with Native Formatting - ABBYY's intelligent Adaptive Document Recognition Technology (ADRT®) allows FineReader Pro for Mac to precisely recreate document structure and formatting across multiple pages, including text size and font styles, tables, diagrams, columns, headers, footers, footnotes, table of contents, page numbers and other attributes commonly found in multi-page documents.
- Intuitive, Task-Oriented User Interface - FineReader Pro for Mac offers a highly-optimized, easy-to-navigate user interface designed to enable document processing with a single click of a button.
- Digital Camera OCR and Image Pre-processing – FineReader Pro for Mac applies various image pre-processing options to correct distortions before recognition, enabling users to photograph documents for OCR and conversion with their cameras and mobile devices as alternatives to common scanners.
- Reliable Archiving and Sharing of PDFs — FineReader Pro for Mac allows users to turn documents into searchable, compressed and protected PDF files, enabling easier archiving and sharing.
- Quick E-book Creation - The application can convert paper documents and images to formats supported by e-book readers, tablet PCs and smartphones.
FineReader Pro for Mac is available for purchase via the Mac App Store and the ABBYY Online store. Users of ABBYY FineReader Express Edition for Mac can upgrade their copy to the full professional version of FineReader at a special price. For more information about the product and pricing, please visit www.abbyy.com/finereader_for_mac/.
*According to internal ABBYY testing. Accuracy and formatting results can vary depending on factors such as document quality and scanner settings.
ABBYY is a leading provider of document recognition, data capture, and linguistic technologies and services. Its products include the ABBYY FineReader line of optical character recognition (OCR) applications, ABBYY FlexiCapture line of data capture solutions, ABBYY Lingvo dictionary software, and development tools. ABBYY Language Services provides comprehensive linguistic solutions to corporate customers. Paper-intensive organizations from all over the world use ABBYY solutions to automate time- and labour-consuming tasks and to streamline business processes. ABBYY products are used in large-scale government projects such as those of Australian Taxation Office, Lithuanian Tax Inspectorate, Ministry of Education of Russia, Ministry of Education of Ukraine, and Montgomery County Government of the USA. Companies that license ABBYY technologies include BancTec, Canon, EMC/Captiva, Hewlett-Packard, KnowledgeLake, Microsoft, NewSoft, Notable Solutions, Samsung Electronics and more. ABBYY OCR applications are shipped with equipment from the world's top manufacturers such as Epson, Fujitsu, Fuji Xerox, Microtek, Panasonic, Plustek, Toshiba, and Xerox. ABBYY is headquartered in Moscow, Russia, with offices in Germany, the UK, the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Cyprus, Australia, Japan and Taiwan. For more information, visit www.ABBYY.com.
ABBYY, the ABBYY Logo, FineReader, ADRT, Lingvo, FlexiCapture, Recognition Server, and PDF Transformer are either registered trademarks or trademarks of ABBYY Software Ltd. Mac and Mac OS are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Other product names mentioned herein may be trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective owners and are hereby recognized.