CHICAGO, Nov. 22, 2016 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Action for Healthy Kids (AFHK) announces the 2016 Healthy School Hero Award winners, recognized for their work to improve health, nutrition and physical activity among students nationwide during the 2015-2016 school year. Since 2004, AFHK has recognized educators, parents, health professionals and community leaders for their exceptional dedication and service towards the vision, mission and goals of AFHK – to make every kid healthy, active and ready to learn – through volunteer work in their schools and communities.
This year's 12 winners were nominated by their peers as driving forces behind school wellness initiatives. They represent the many faces of individuals across the country helping to create healthier school environments for students today, from food service directors to PE teachers to principals and parent volunteers. The winners are:
- Carrie Beegle, Food Service Director, Cloverleaf and Mapleton School Districts, Seville, Ohio
- Tyenise Blackmon, BISD Community Engagement Liaison, Missouri City, Texas
- Rictor Craig, Principal, Washington D.C.
- Kerin Delaney, Deputy Director of Falmouth Service Center, Falmouth, Mass.
- Diane Evans, Child Nutrition Manager, East Baton Rouge Parish Schools, Gonzales, La.
- Jason Feriend, Teacher, Joyce Kilmer Elementary School, Chicago
- Jeff Gibson, English Teacher and Coach, Wingfield High School, Jackson, Miss.
- Tonya Lewis, Health Assistant, Moshannon Valley Elementary School, Houtzdale Pa.
- Tom O'Conner, CO, Parent Wellness Champion, Englewood, Colo.
- Amy Oliver, Physical Education Teacher, Cumberland Trace Elementary School, Bowling Green, Ky.
- Carol Vickers, Volunteer Communications Chair, Florida Coordinated School Health Partnership, Tallahassee, Fla.
- Kathleen Wack, Assistant Professor of Health and Physical Education, West Liberty University, Wheeling, W.Va.
- Honorable Mention: Darlene Trumbour, Teacher, Rockport Elementary, Rockport MA and Susanne Schmal, HIV Policies and Programs Consultant, NC Healthy Schools at the Department of Public Instruction, Durham, NC
"We give thanks every day for the thousands of committed and passionate volunteers who go above and beyond their call of duty to help create healthier learning environments for the nation's 50 million students," said Rob Bisceglie, CEO of Action for Healthy Kids. "It is always difficult to choose the winners from so many outstanding nominees. These individuals are exemplary in their efforts to affect change in their schools and communities to ensure students are healthy and ready to learn each day."
Read the stories of this year's winners at ActionforHealthyKids.org/Heroes, and learn how to volunteer in your own school, start a wellness program and create a healthier school environment by visiting ActionforHealthyKids.org.
About Action for Healthy Kids
Action for Healthy Kids® is a nationwide grassroots network mobilizing school professionals, families and communities to take actions that improve school foods, nutrition education and physical education for all students. With funding opportunities, expert technical assistance and our flagship program, Game On, Action for Healthy Kids provides full support to schools and families to develop healthy school environments where children thrive. To learn more about the ways our 100,000+ volunteer network is helping to make every kid healthy, active and ready to learn, visit us at ActionforHealthyKids.org, on Facebook (act4healthykids) and on Twitter (@Act4HlthyKids).
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/action-for-healthy-kids-gives-thanks-for-school-health-champions-announces-2016-healthy-school-hero-award-winners-300366980.html
SOURCE Action for Healthy Kids