WEST CHESTER, Ohio, May 20, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- AK Steel (NYSE: AKS) is continuing a longstanding tradition this year by awarding college scholarships to sons and daughters of company employees. The awards recognize outstanding academic achievement, leadership and community involvement.
"Earning an AK Steel scholarship speaks volumes about the students and families associated with our company," said James L. Wainscott, Chairman, President and CEO of AK Steel. "We congratulate all of our scholars, and we wish them great success as they take the next step in their academic journeys."
The Sons and Daughters scholarships are funded by the AK Steel Foundation and are worth a maximum $20,000 each. The Middletown, Ohio Community Foundation independently selects each recipient.
2015 Scholarship Recipients:
- Claire Conarroe, daughter of Steven and Julia Conarroe of West Chester, OH.Claire attends Saint Ursula Academy where she is president of the World Affairs Club and a peer advisory leader. She is a member of the Students for Advancement, National Honor Society, Ohio Junior Classical League and Latin club. Claire is also a member of the varsity field hockey team and was awarded first team all league for two years. Her father, Steven Conarroe, works in the energy & utilities department at the company's Middletown Works.
- Jennifer Dudek, daughter of Russ and Linda Dudek of Prospect, PA.Jennifer attends Slippery Rock Area High School where she has been recognized as a High Honor Roll student for four years. She is a member of the National Honor Society and treasurer of the French club. Jennifer is also active in soccer and is a member of the concert band. She volunteers at her church and started a local United Nations Girls Up chapter. Her father, Russ Dudek, works in the environmental affairs department at the company's Butler Works.
- Luke French, son of Carl and Amy French of Middletown, OH.Luke attends Madison High School where he received the Presidential Award of Excellence and was recognized as a scholar athlete. He has participated on the varsity soccer, football and tennis teams. He is a member of student council, German club and science club. Luke is also a member of the Middletown Community Foundation's youth council. His father, Carl French, works in the cold strip maintenance department at the company's Middletown Works.
- Katelyn Georgopoulos, daughter of George and Rita Georgopoulos of Liberty Township, OH.Katelyn attends Lakota West High School where she is a four-year member of the High Honor Roll and recognized as an AP Scholar with Distinction. She is a member of the National Honors Society, National French Honors Society and French club. Katelyn participates in marching band, concert band and pep band. She also volunteers with Matthew 25 Ministries and West Chester Hospital. Her father, George Georgopoulos, works in the shipping department at the company's Middletown Works.
- Skyler Hinchberger, daughter of Troy and Joann Hinchberger of Prospect, PA.Skyler attends Slippery Rock Area High School where she is a member of the National Honor Society, student council and forensics team. She was a member of the varsity soccer team and track team. Skyler is also an aide in the guidance office, volunteers for her church and makes blankets for the Alpha Omega Center. Her father, Troy Hinchberger, works in the melt shop at the company's Butler Works.
- Andrea Howard, daughter of Timothy Howard of West Liberty, KY and Christopher and Rachel Lynd of Grayson, KY.Andrea attends East Carter County High School where she is a member of the National French Honor Society. She has also received the Distinguished Scholar Award and District Governor's Cup for problem solving. She is a member of the Kentucky Youth Assembly and East Carter Academic Team. Andrea is a bell ringer for the Salvation Army and volunteers with senior citizens. Her stepfather, Christopher Lynd, works in the maintenance department at the company's Ashland Works.
- Andrew Ickes, son of Curt Ickes of Ashland, OH and Keith and Deborah Weber of Jeromesville, OH.Andrew attends Hillsdale High School where he is a member of the National Honor Society and student council. He serves as vice president of his class and participates with the Hillsdale choir and Spanish club. Andrew is a member of the golf and baseball teams. He has received the Falcon Citizen Award and is a member of his church youth group. His stepfather, Keith Weber, works in the melt shop the company's Ashland Works.
- Ethan Kemp, son of James and Carrie Ann Kemp of Lebanon, OH.Ethan attends Lebanon High School where he is a member of the National Honor Society and Future Business Leaders of America. Ethan was a member of the varsity golf team and ski club as well as a member of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. He volunteers for his church serving the homeless and he has taught golf through the Lebanon Junior Golf Program. His father, James Kemp, works in the environmental affairs department at the company's Middletown Works.
- Cody Loveless, son of Joseph and Regina Loveless of Middletown, OH.Cody attends Monroe High School where he is president of the National Honor Society. He is a member of the marching and concert bands serving as both clarinet section leader and first chair clarinet. He is the recipient of the Honda-OSU Math Medal award. Cody serves as a weekly volunteer at the Atrium Medical Center. His father, Joseph Loveless, works in the employment reserve department at the company's Middletown Works.
- Cameron Mathis, son of Stephen and Michele Mathis of Middletown, OH.Cameron attends Middletown High School where he is president of the student body, member of the National Honor Society and a member of student government. Cameron serves as a student representative to the Middletown City School Board of Education and is a member of the speech and debate teams. He is also a three-time varsity letter recipient in tennis. His father, Stephen Mathis, works in the quality department at the company's Middletown Works.
- Dane Miller, son of Richard and Linda Miller of Dearborn, MI.Dane attends Divine Child High School where he is a National Merit Scholar and member of the Spanish club and Robotics club. He is a varsity member of the cross country and track teams. Dane volunteers for the Leader Dogs for the Blind and is a member of the First Presbyterian Church youth group. He is a candidate for the U.S. Presidential Scholars program. His father, Richard Miller, is in the finance department at the company's Dearborn Works.
- Sean Newport, son of Roger and Barb Newport of Mason, OH.Sean attends William Mason High School where he is a member of the National Honor Society. He serves as president of the German National Honor Society and is a member of student government. He was captain of the Comet Skippers, a competitive school-based jump rope team. Sean volunteers with a soccer league for children with special needs. His father, Roger Newport, works in the finance department at the company's corporate headquarters in West Chester.
- Haley Pierce, daughter of Joseph and Allison Pierce of Ashland, KY.Haley attends Paul G. Blazer High School where she serves at the vice president of the Spanish Honor Society and treasurer of the National Honor Society. She is a member of the varsity academic team, pep club, chemistry club and Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Haley volunteers with her youth church group, the Salvation Army and River Cities Harvest. Her father, Joseph Pierce, works in the steelmaking department at the company's Ashland Works.
- Hannah Pohlabel, daughter of James and Mary Kay Pohlabel of Hamilton, OH.Hannah attends Fairfield City High School where she received the Golden Achievement Award for 4.0 or higher GPA and is a member of the National Honor Society. She also participates in academic team, yearbook staff and student council. Hannah is a Fairfield peer mentor and also volunteers for the Community Blood Center and Make-A-Wish Foundation. Her father, James Pohlabel, works in the customer service department at the company's corporate headquarters in West Chester.
- Mackenzie Rodgers, daughter of Patrick and Milissa Rodgers of Butler, PA.Mackenzie attends Knoch High School where she serves as president of student council and is a member of the National Honor Society. Mackenzie is a member of the choir, Spanish club and history club. She is also on the track team and is a service coordinator with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Mackenzie volunteers for community youth cheer and basketball teams. Her father, Patrick Rodgers, works in the melt shop at the company's Butler Works.
- Nick Rook, son of Dale and Lynn Rook of Mason, OH.Nick attends William Mason High School where he is a National Merit Commended Scholar and AP Scholar with Distinction. He is on the cross country and track teams. Nick participates with the inter-alliance tech Olympics, a technology based competition. He also volunteers for Faith Alive Performance and his church's youth group. His mother, Lynn Rook, works in the outside processing department at the company's corporate headquarters in West Chester.
- Meredith Sergent, daughter of Timothy and Mary Sergent of Catlettsburg, KY.Meredith attends Paul G. Blazer High School where she is a member of the National Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society and National Society of High School Scholars. She participates in key club, pep club, Mu Alpha Theta math fraternity and Future Business Leaders of America. Meredith was a member of the dance team and volunteers with her church. Her father, Timothy Sergent, works in the transportation department at the company's Ashland Works.
- Brendan Waltman, son of Timothy and Charlotte Waltman of Fenelton, PA.Brendan attends Karns City High School where he is a member of the National Honor Society. He participates in math club, peer leadership, Spanish club and student council. Brendan served as captain of the football team and was a member of the basketball team. He also volunteered as a student coach for youth football. His father, Timothy Waltman, works in the silicon department at the company's Butler Works.
- Matthew Zanella, son of Robert and Alissa Zanella of Butler, PA.Matthew attends Knoch High School where he is a member of the National Society of High School Scholars and the National Honor Society. He is a member of the German club and Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Matthew was captain of the varsity basketball team. He also volunteers for St. Mary's Parish and serves as a youth group counselor. His father, Robert Zanella, works in the scheduling department at the company's Butler Works.
- Jacqueline Ziegman, daughter of Ronald and Mary Ziegman of Avon, OH.Jacqueline attends Avon High School where she is a member of the National Honor Society, treasurer of student council and recipient of the Avon Women's Club Award. She participates in 4H club, key club, friendship club and culture club. She is an Avon Special Olympics and American Red Cross volunteer and also an altar server and counselor with her church. Her father, Ronald Ziegman, works in the hot strip mill at the company's Dearborn Works.
AK Steel is a world leader in the production of flat-rolled carbon, stainless and electrical steel products, primarily for automotive, infrastructure and manufacturing, construction and electrical power generation and distribution markets. Headquartered in West Chester, Ohio (Greater Cincinnati), the company employs approximately 8,000 men and women at eight steel plants, two coke plants and two tube manufacturing plants across six states: Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia. Additional information about AK Steel is available at www.aksteel.com.
SOURCE AK Steel