WEST CHESTER, Ohio, Dec. 3, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- In recognition of women who have overcome obstacles to make a difference in the lives of others, the AK Steel Foundation is underwriting the Steel Magnolia Awards – honoring eight women who reside in the vicinity of AK Steel's corporate headquarters and plant operations. The awards are worth $1,000 each, and will be presented in the form of a grant made to an eligible non-profit selected by each recipient.
"All of the award recipients are courageous women who, despite personal challenges, continue to make a significant difference in the lives of others," said James L. Wainscott, Chairman, President and CEO of AK Steel. "Through the company's foundation, we are proud to honor these inspirational women by sponsoring the Steel Magnolia Awards."
The Middletown, Ohio, Community Foundation independently administers the Steel Magnolia Awards Program. For additional information about the program, contact the Middletown Community Foundation at 513-424-7369.
2010 Steel Magnolia Award Recipients:
- Barbara Condo of Fairfield, Ohio. Her award will benefit the One Way Farm Children's Home.
- Traci Couch of Zanesville, Ohio. Her award will benefit Eastside Community Ministry.
- Elsa Croucher of Monroe, Ohio. Her award will benefit Citizens Against Domestic Violence.
- Maria Goodwill of West Lafayette, Ohio. Her award will benefit the American Cancer Society.
- Cheryl Jarvis of Butler, Ohio. Her award will benefit the Kats 'N' Kittens Foundation.
- Cheryl Schaefer of Butler, Pennsylvania. Her award will benefit the Butler Health System Foundation.
- Beth Stein of Lamar, Indiana. Her award will benefit Crisis Connection Inc.
- Marty Vannatter of Catlettsburg, Kentucky. Her award will benefit the Vannatter Memorial Scholarship at Boyd County High School.
About AK Steel
AK Steel produces flat-rolled carbon, stainless and electrical steels, primarily for automotive, appliance, construction and electrical power generation and distribution markets. The company employs about 6,200 men and women in Middletown, Mansfield, Coshocton and Zanesville, Ohio; Butler, Pennsylvania; Ashland, Kentucky; Rockport, Indiana; and its corporate headquarters in West Chester, Ohio. Additional information about AK Steel is available on the company's web site at www.aksteel.com.
AK Tube LLC, a wholly owned subsidiary of AK Steel, employs about 300 men and women in plants in Walbridge, Ohio and Columbus, Indiana. AK Tube produces carbon and stainless electric resistance welded (ERW) tubular steel products for truck, automotive and other markets. Additional information about AK Tube LLC is available on its web site at www.aktube.com.
SOURCE AK Steel