BATAVIA, Ill., May 11, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Many consumers feel there are major barriers to leading a healthy lifestyle, with the most common being the cost of healthy foods and lack of time to prepare healthy foods.1 ALDI, the nation's low-price grocery leader2, is teaming up with leading nutrition experts to introduce "Dietitian's Picks" to help shoppers easily identify smart choices and kick-start healthy eating habits at home.
ALDI is committed to proving healthy eating can be attainable and affordable for its customers with prices up to 50 percent less3 than traditional grocers. Later this month, ALDI will begin showcasing existing products hand-picked by registered dietitians for their nutritional value to help guide ALDI shoppers in their purchase decisions. The Dietitian's Picks will include an assortment of products including gluten-free and organic items, fresh meat and produce options, kid-friendly choices as well as fresh bakery goods.
"Establishing healthy eating habits at home starts with making smarter choices in the grocery store. ALDI dispels the misconception that healthy eating is expensive and time consuming by offering high quality, yet affordable, nutritious items every day," says Jason Hart, CEO of ALDI. "Our Dietitian's Picks can serve as a perfect guide for shoppers looking to make a healthy lifestyle realistic."
The ALDI Advisory Council is comprised of five registered dietitians who specialize in various areas of the nutrition field including family nutrition, sports performance and promoting a positive body image. Revamp your shopping list with ease by trying these ALDI Advisory Council-approved products during your next shopping trip.
- Tara Gidus, MS, RD, CSSD, LDN: "My picks are all about products that provide energy and nutrients you need every day for maximum performance physically and mentally."
- Fit & Active Egg Whites
- Bell Peppers
- Kirkwood Fresh Chicken Tenderloins
- Sally Kuzemchak, MS, RD: "As a mom of two, I understand it can be difficult to find food options that are affordable and nutritious. My picks will not only make you feel good feeding it to your kids but you'll also feel good about the money you save."
- Lunch Buddies Natural Applesauce
- SimplyNature Organic Strawberries (frozen)
- SimplyNature Reduced Fat 2% Organic Milk
- Elizabeth Ward, MS, RD: "Family members often have different eating styles, food preferences and nutritional needs. I picked healthy foods that are all about keeping everyone happy and healthy!"
- L'oven Fresh 100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Skinnys
- Southern Grove Dry Roasted Peanuts
- liveGfree Gluten Free Pizza Crust Mix
- Mary Donkersloot, RDN: "A great way to save is by choosing foods that are good for you, taste good and are satisfying, and that's exactly how I chose my favorite picks!"
- SimplyNature Creamy Almond Butter
- Southern Grove Walnuts
- Fit & Active Nonfat Yogurt
- Sylvia Klinger, MS, RD, LDN: "Switching up flavors helps to keep me inspired in the kitchen, so these picks should do the trick for you too!"
- Fit & Active Light String Cheese
- liveGfree Gluten Free Very Berry Granola Crunch
- Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef
For a complete list of Dietitian's Picks, visit https://www.aldi.us/en/grocery-home/aldi-fresh/eat-better-every-day
ALDI makes healthy living simple and affordable by offering a variety of high-quality food products, including fresh produce, meat, dairy and pantry items. As part of its long-standing dedication to offering high-quality products at everyday low prices, all ALDI buyers and manufacturers are tasked with continuing to improve the nutritional profile of ALDI products. Removing certified synthetic colors, partially hydrogenated oils and MSG from all products in 2015 is just one of the ways ALDI is demonstrating its commitment. ALDI also requires all of its exclusive brand food suppliers to list key nutritional information on the front of the package, allowing shoppers to make more informed decisions, further streamlining the shopping experience.
For the past several years, ALDI has increased its store space dedicated to fruits and vegetables. ALDI is focused on increasing the number of healthier items requested by its customers through new product lines currently available in all stores. In addition to its SimplyNature product line, ALDI has recently introduced its exclusive line of liveGfree gluten-free products into all stores including granola bars, pizza, pasta and bread. ALDI plans to open 650 new stores by the end of 2018.
For more information, get social with ALDI and get in on the fun! For exciting promotions and chances to win ALDI prizes, follow ALDI on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and on the Simply Smarter Living Blog.
About ALDI Inc.
A leader in the grocery retailing industry, ALDI operates nearly 1,400 stores in 32 states, primarily from Kansas to the East Coast. More than 30 million customers each month save up to 50 percent3 on their grocery bills, benefiting from the ALDI simple and streamlined approach to retailing. ALDI sells more than 1,300 of the most frequently purchased grocery and household items, primarily under its exclusive brands, which must meet or exceed the national name brands on taste and quality. ALDI is so confident in the quality of its products, the company offers a Double Guarantee: If for any reason a customer is not 100 percent satisfied with any ALDI food product, ALDI will gladly replace the product and refund the purchase price. ALDI was named the 2014 Retailer of the Year by Store Brands magazine for its strong commitment to value and innovation-focused private brand product development. For more information about ALDI, visit www.aldi.us.
1. According to an October 2014 report released by data analysis company, Dunnhumby.
2. According to a survey of more than 6,000 consumers conducted in March 2014 by Market Force Information.
3. Based upon a price comparison of comparable products sold at leading national retail grocery stores.
SOURCE ALDI Inc.