BETHESDA, Md., June 28 /PRNewswire/ -- The fireworks industry remains committed to providing the safest products available, as well as to educating the public on the proper ways to safely enjoy the great American tradition of celebrating with backyard fireworks.
Forty-six states and the District of Columbia allow legal "consumer" fireworks for the Fourth of July. The definition of consumer fireworks varies from state to state, but can include everything from cone fountains to roman candles to multiple tube "cake" devices to sparklers. Before using fireworks, find out what's legal in your state by checking out http://www.americanpyro.com and clicking on "state laws."
Check out APA's new fireworks safety tips video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjNNt0mTbEk -- creatively produced with a focus on common sense safety when using fireworks.
Remember that like most outdoor activities, even legal fireworks can pose a risk for injury if they're not used properly. Consider the following tips when planning your Independence Day fireworks fun:
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place
- Always read and follow the directions on the label
- Always have a sober, responsible adult present when handling fireworks
- Never give fireworks to young children, even sparklers!
- Use fireworks outdoors in a safe, flat area free from debris and combustibles
- Have a working garden hose or bucket of water handy
- Keep spectators a safe distance away from fireworks
- Light only one firework at a time
- Never re-ignite a firework that doesn't light the first time or one that has finished its display
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Don't throw fireworks
- Keep pets indoors and away from fireworks
- Never shoot fireworks in metal or glass containers
- Always wear safety glasses when igniting fireworks
About the American Pyrotechnics Association
The APA is the leading trade association of the fireworks industry. The APA supports and promotes safety standards for all aspects of fireworks. The APA has a diverse membership including regulated and licensed manufacturers, distributors, wholesalers, retailers, importers, suppliers and professional display fireworks companies. Additional information about the fireworks industry, facts & figures, state laws and safety tips can be found on APA's website at http://www.americanpyro.com
Julie L. Heckman, Executive Director
American Pyrotechnics Association
SOURCE American Pyrotechnics Association