American Well Launches Industry's Most Comprehensive Infrastructure for Telehealth
Online Care 6.0 extends points of care from hospitals to physician offices and employer clinics into the home, enabling coordinated, clinically meaningful care using the Web, mobile and medical devices
Apr 30, 2012, 09:00 ET
BOSTON, April 30, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- American Well™ today announced the availability of its Online Care Suite 6.0 (Online Care 6.0), the most comprehensive telehealth infrastructure on the market today. Online Care 6.0 provides organizations such as health plans, delivery networks and retail pharmacies with a convenient, all-in-one telehealth platform that connects consumers and healthcare providers for immediate online visits anywhere, anytime. Key advancements include the introduction of mobile access via smartphone and tablet apps, along with a true consumer-centric experience and the ability to exchange vital data directly with electronic health records and key medical devices. Taken together, these capabilities set a new industry standard for the scope, quality and convenience of care that can be delivered through telehealth.
American Well's Online Care 6.0 addresses critical challenges faced by many healthcare organizations today, including:
1) Improving access to high-quality, affordable care in a cost-effective manner;
2) Coordinating care around chronic patients to achieve better outcomes; and
3) Engaging consumers in their environment - home, workplaces and on the go.
"Telehealth has increasingly become part of the solution for enabling better access to high-quality, cost-effective care, but the challenge has been to weave the technology into the way our healthcare system works today," said Roy Schoenberg, MD, MPH, CEO of American Well Systems. "With Online Care 6.0, we have taken telehealth to the next level by offering a new experience as simple and easy to use as the best eCommerce sites, while maintaining the heavy-duty required integrations into record and payment systems, devices and workflows necessary for serious and safe care delivery. Telehealth is no longer a silo within the healthcare system; it is an established channel for making that system reach and connect consumers and providers, wherever they may be."
Online Care 6.0 introduces significant advancements in usability and value reflecting the extensive learning from current Online Care operators in the US and overseas. Highlights of the new solution include:
- Care with one click—A new Web experience allows consumers to instantly see and connect with the providers available to speak with them, sometimes even without having to enroll or log in – an experience reminiscent of leading sites in online retail, travel and banking.
- The "house call" via mobile apps—New mobile capabilities let American Well customers connect consumers with available, appropriate providers from their iPhone, iPad and iPod touch mobile devices, increasing convenience and access to care. The mobile capability initially enables voice-based consultations and will expand to include two-way video later this summer. On the provider side, a free mobile app also offers features to manage online waiting rooms, and send and receive fee-based secure messages.
- Embrace pre-existing patient-provider relationships—With Online Care 6.0, providers can conveniently consult with their existing patient clientele as an extension of their physical practice, as well as see new patients online. Additionally, a "warm transfer" capability allows providers to transfer patients directly to an affiliated provider at the conclusion of their online visit, supporting coordination and continuity while reducing unnecessary referrals.
- Real-time connectivity to medical devices—Consumers and healthcare providers are now able to plug key medical devices directly into their computers and transmit data and readings during live online visits. Devices include derma-cams/opthalmoscopes, stethoscopes, otoscopes and spirometers.
The release of Online Care 6.0 coincides with accelerating adoption of telehealth across the healthcare industry. Recently, the US Department of Veterans Affairs announced the elimination of co-pays for "in-home video telehealth care," marking a milestone in reimbursement. Meanwhile, in an announcement earlier this year American Well revealed that services powered by its technology are now available in states accounting for nearly 55 percent of the US population.
About American Well
American Well™ brings healthcare into the homes and workplaces of patients. Its Online Care Suite is the industry's leading telehealth solution, connecting providers and patients for live, immediate, and clinically meaningful encounters using the Web or phone. With its patented technology, the Online Care Suite removes traditional barriers to healthcare access – such as geography, mobility, and time constraints – while enabling providers to deliver quality care in a flexible, convenient manner, generating revenue along the way.
Julie Sculley or Dave McKee
SOURCE American Well
Share this article