SAITAMA, Japan, March 17, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Art Olympia is a new international open art competition held once in every two years. The main goals are to discover young talented artists and to support them so that their global art careers may flourish. Art Olympia will give away a total of approximately $500,000 in cash awards and prizes to 180 selected artists from all around the world.
The second Art Olympia will accept two-dimensional artworks only. This time, photographic works will be also accepted.
Artworks, submitted from all around the world, will first be reviewed at regional entry bases and then finally will be reviewed in Tokyo. Primary reviews will be done by using the images of artworks and the final review with real artworks. Moreover, the final review will use a point rating system, allowing the public to check the reviewing process to ensure fairness and transparency.
With an eye to supporting young artists, Art Olympia has created Student Category, allowing students to apply for both All-Entrants and Student Categories. A panel of jurors, comprised of experts from various fields of the international art world, provides aspiring artists with a rare chance to get their artworks reviewed by art experts other than their fellow countrymen and women.
- Overseas-based jurors -
- Florence Derieux: Curator of American Art of Centre Pompidou Foundation
- Brett Littman: Executive Director of Drawing Center
- Simon Njami: Writer and independent curator, lecturer, art critic and essayist
- Chu Teh-I: Artist, Director of Kuandu Museum of Fine Arts, TNUA
- Kara Vander Weg: Director of Gagosian Gallery
- Tokyo-based jurors -
- Akiko Endo: Painter, Professor of Musashino Art University
- Toyomi Hoshina: Vice President of Tokyo University of the Arts
- Aomi Okabe: Art critic and curator
- Hiroshi Senju: Artist
- Akira Tatehata: President of Tama Art University
- Awards -
- Total amount of cash and extra prizes: Approx. US$500,000
- Total number of winners: Approx. 180 persons
- All-Entrants Category: First prize with US$120,000 cash prize, one winner
- Student Category: First prize with US$20,000 cash prize, one winner
- In addition, special prizes will be awarded by jurors and Art Olympia Executive Committee.
- Schedule -
- Entry period: From October 1, 2016, to March 31, 2017
- Announcement of Winners: June 7, 2017
- Exhibition: Toshima Ward Office Building "Toshima Ecomusee Town" on June 17-25, 2017
The International Open Art Competition "Art Olympia 2017"
- English version: http://artolympia.info/
- Japanese, English, French, Spanish, Taiwanese and Chinese versions: http://www.artolympia.jp/
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/art-olympia-2017-2nd-international-open-art-competition-set-for-2017-in-japan-300425383.html
SOURCE Art Olympia Executive Committee Office