OLYMPIA, WASH., April 24, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- AT&T* invested nearly $1.7 Billion in its best-in-class wireless network in Washington from 2012 to 2014. These investments are driving a wide range of upgrades to reliability, coverage, speed and performance for residents and business customers.
AT&T made 216 wireless network upgrades in Washington last year, including 14 new cell towers, 33 wireless broadband upgrades, 141 new wireless high-speed Internet connections, and additional network capacity.
AT&T provides the nation's most reliable 4G LTE network today, covering more than 300 million Americans with 4G LTE service.** AT&T's network also has the nation's strongest LTE signal.*** During 2014, several cities in Washington were added to AT&T's extensive LTE network, including: Cashmere, Chelan, Leavenworth, Walla Walla, Waterville and Wenatchee.
Other Washington network enhancements in 2014 included:
- Expanding AT&T's 4G LTE network in the greater Seattle area to include Vashon Island and Everett. AT&T launched 4G LTE in Seattle in September 2012, and the expanded coverage is part of its ongoing rollout across the market.
- Installed Distributed Antenna Systems (DAS) at SeaTac Airport and Husky Stadium. DAS installations consist of strategically placed antennas that improve AT&T customers' wireless service throughout these facilities.
- Expanding AT&T's 4G LTE network to Mason County so customers residing and traveling around the south end of Hood Canal can take advantage of the latest wireless network technology. The expanded coverage included Belfair, Hoodsport and Skokomish.
- Adding 4G LTE to two cell towers in Pacific County to enhance its mobile Internet service in in Raymond and South Bend, and along Hwy 101 north of Raymond.
- Expanding AT&T's 4G LTE network in the inland Northwest to include Selah and Waitsburg.
- Adding 4G LTE to AT&T's Mt. Constitution cell tower to improve mobile Internet coverage and voice performance on Orcas Island and the surrounding islands and waterways.
"With a growing range of connected home appliances, cars and wearable devices, we depend more on network connectivity than ever before," said Bob Bass, president, AT&T Washington. "AT&T's continued investment in the state of Washington brings a host of new, innovative opportunities for residents and businesses to connect with each other and their customers."
AT&T was recently recognized by FORTUNE magazine as the Most Admired Telecommunications Company in the world in 2015. FORTUNE also ranked AT&T #47 among all companies in all industries in its list of the Top 50 Most Admired companies in the world. FORTUNE's Most Admired Companies lists are among the most highly respected indicators of corporate performance and reputation.
If the AT&T-DirecTV merger is approved by regulators, the combined companies will have an opportunity to redefine the video entertainment industry by delivering content to consumers across multiple screens – mobile devices, TVs, laptops, and the backseat displays of connected cars. AT&T has also committed to expand and enhance its deployment of both wireline and fixed wireless high-speed Internet to cover at least 15 million customer locations across 48 states – most of them in underserved rural areas.
* AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
** Reliability claim based on analysis of independent third party data re nationwide carriers' 4G LTE. LTE is a trademark of ETSI. 4G LTE not available everywhere.
***Claim based ONLY on avg LTE signal strength for national carriers
To define a market, we rely on the Core Based Statistical Areas (CBSA), as established by the United States Office of Management and Budget. Minor differences, if any, between annual totals reflect annual updating of market boundaries in our record systems.
Cautionary Language Concerning Forward-Looking Statements
Information set forth in this news release contains financial estimates and other forward- looking statements that are subject to risks and uncertainties, and actual results may differ materially. A discussion of factors that may affect future results is contained in AT&T's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. AT&T disclaims any obligation to update or revise statements contained in this news release based on new information or otherwise.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) helps millions of people and businesses around the globe stay connected through leading wireless, high-speed Internet, voice and cloud-based services. We're helping people mobilize their worlds with state-of-the-art communications, entertainment services and amazing innovations like connected cars and devices for homes, offices and points in between. Our U.S. wireless network offers customers the nation's strongest LTE signal and the nation's most reliable 4G LTE network. We offer the best global wireless coverage*. We're improving how our customers stay entertained and informed with AT&T U-verse® TV and High Speed Internet services. And businesses worldwide are serving their customers better with AT&T's mobility and highly secure cloud solutions.
Additional information about AT&T products and services is available at http://about.att.com. Follow our news on Twitter at @ATT, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/att and YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/att.
© 2015 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the Globe logo and other marks are trademarks and service marks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
*Global coverage claim based on offering voice and LTE data roaming in more countries than any other U.S. based carrier, and offering the most wireless smartphones and tablets that work in the most countries.