05 Oct, 2016, 10:41 ET
DALLAS, Oct. 5, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- AT&T* is working with technology leaders to show how new LTE-M technology will bring the Internet of Things (IoT) to a new generation of devices and markets.
AT&T plans to pilot the LTE-M network in the San Francisco market starting in November. We will launch the technology across our commercial LTE network in 2017.
LTE-M technology will connect a wide variety of IoT solutions such as smart utility meters, asset monitoring, vending machines, alarm systems, fleet, heavy equipment, mHealth and wearables.
Key features expected from LTE-M are:
- Lower costs for modules that connect IoT devices to the LTE network.
- Longer battery life; up to 10 years for certain enabled IoT devices.
- Better coverage for IoT devices underground and deep inside buildings.
"We have pulled together players from across the ecosystem to pilot solutions for a myriad of industries and applications," said Chris Penrose, senior vice president, Internet of Things Solutions, AT&T. "LTE-M will provide a unique combination of enhanced coverage and longer battery life with carrier-grade security. It's part of our strategy to offer the widest range of IoT network options to our customers."
Participants in the pilot will include:
- Badger Meter – analyze how the LTE-M network, which is dedicated to supporting the IoT, may be used to enhance communications for smart water devices.
- CalAmp – explore how the LTE-M network can help companies more efficiently manage their connected vehicles and assets.
- Capstone Metering – demonstrate how LTE-M can improve Smart Cities sensor technologies. It will look to increase battery life and improve connectivity and sensor monitoring for underground smart water meters.
- PepsiCo -- examine and test ways that sensors can improve the in-store experience with smart vending solutions for the thousands of PepsiCo products consumers love and enjoy.
- Samsung – evaluate an LTE-M-based solution to enhance performance for consumer solutions. This may include wearables or other consumer devices.
The pilot will also include solutions from a robust contingent of technology providers: Altair, Ericsson, Qualcomm Technologies Inc., Sierra Wireless, u-blox, Wistron NeWeb Corp. (WNC), and Xirgo Technologies.
Learn more in our white paper, "What you need to know about IoT wide area networks." This is the third in a series of white papers designed to help businesses and developers navigate the key questions and challenges in implementing IoT solutions. For more information about AT&T IoT services and support, go to www.att.com/iot.
*AT&T products and services are provided or offered by subsidiaries and affiliates of AT&T Inc. under the AT&T brand and not by AT&T Inc.
AT&T Inc. (NYSE:T) helps millions around the globe connect with leading entertainment, mobile, high speed internet and voice services. We're the world's largest provider of pay TV. We have TV customers in the U.S. and 11 Latin American countries. We offer the best global coverage of any U.S. wireless provider.* And we help businesses worldwide serve their customers better with our mobility and highly secure cloud solutions.
Additional information about AT&T products and services is available at http://about.att.com. Follow our news on Twitter at @ATT, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/att and YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/att.
© 2016 AT&T Intellectual Property. All rights reserved. AT&T, the Globe logo and other marks are trademarks and service marks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks contained herein are the property of their respective owners.
*Global coverage claim based on offering discounted voice and data roaming; LTE roaming; voice roaming; and world-capable smartphone and tablets in more countries than any other U.S. based carrier. International service required. Coverage not available in all areas. Coverage may vary per country and be limited/restricted in some countries.
 Formerly known as Cat M1 by the GSMA
Logo - http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20140408/CG99935LOGO
SOURCE AT&T Inc.
Share this article