SEATTLE, Aug. 8, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Charles Smith, founder of Washington's largest winemaker-owned winery and the 4th largest wine producer in the state, today announced a new name for his international company – Wines of Substance. This launches a revitalized vision for his rich portfolio of high-caliber wines, including K Vintners, SIXTO, CasaSmith, Substance and B. Leighton.
"Substance is defined as the quality of being important, valid and significant," said Charles Smith. "The driving force behind all of my creations is substance and 'Wines of Substance' is the perfect name to illustrate my philosophy of producing exceptional wines to be enjoyed by everyone around the globe."
The new company name embodies the belief that having delicious wine, pouring it in a glass and sharing it among friends is what matters. The distractions that typically surround wine are absent. Wines of Substance continues Charles Smith's dedication to producing the absolute best, which begins in the vineyard and ends in the glass. This is evidenced by the fact that in the recent Wine Advocate vintage review, wines in Charles Smith's portfolio scored exceptionally high, including 12 wines at 95 points or higher.
This change comes following the sale of Charles Smith Wines: The Modernist Collection, which included five wines, to Constellation Brands, Inc. in October 2016.
The brands under the Wines of Substance umbrella are:
- K Vintners: First released in 1999, the label initiated Charles' style of winemaking, creating some of the highest-rated wines to come from the United States: Royal City, The Creator, Cattle King, The Beautiful, The Hidden, Motor City Kitty and The Boy. K Vintners includes wines of Syrah, Cabernet Sauvignon blends, Grenache, Tempranillo, Sangiovese and Viognier.
- SIXTO: The old vine, high elevation Chardonnay project, with the Uncovered, Moxee Vineyard, Frenchman Hills Vineyard and Roza Hills Vineyard wines.
- CasaSmith: Fresh, pure, Italian inspired and locally produced, the line is comprised of CasaSmith Sangiovese, Barbera and Primitivo, as well as ViNO Rosé, Moscato, Rosso and Pinot Grigio.
- Substance: An "elemental" collection includes the flagship Cabernet Sauvignon, along with Vineyard Collection featuring single vineyard Sauvignon Blanc, Merlot, and Cabernet Sauvignon.
- B. Leighton: Crafted by Director of Winemaking Brennon Leighton to showcase fruit from the crest of Olsen Hills in the Yakima Valley. The collection of Petit Verdot, Gratitude and Syrah capture the varietal and the vineyard.
About Wines of Substance: Started in Walla Walla, Washington, in the late 1990's, award-winning winemaker Charles Smith's company Wines of Substance includes K Vintners, SIXTO, CasaSmith, Substance and B. Leighton. Additionally, Charles owns one-half of Charles & Charles. Wines of Substance is the largest winemaker-owned winery in Washington and the 4th largest producer in the state. In 2015, the company expanded to Seattle with the opening of Jet City, the largest urban winery on the west coast, that has attracted visitors from around the world. Winemaker and founder Charles Smith is the only person to have received Winemaker of the Year distinctions by both Wine Enthusiast (2014) and Food & Wine (2009). His wines continue to receive broad recognition from leading wine publications such as Wine Advocate, Wine Spectator and Wine Enthusiast with 110 scores of 95 points and above, and 416 scores of 90 points and above. For more information visit www.winesofsubstance.com.
SOURCE Wines of Substance