PHOENIX, Dec. 1, 2010 /PRNewswire/ -- Consumer fireworks are a wonderful way to celebrate holidays. But they must be used carefully! The National Council on Fireworks Safety urges consumers to be fireworks smart before, during and after their consumer fireworks display.
Before: Choose an open area away from spectators, homes and buildings and dry vegetation. Use a garden hose to wet down the area before firing.
During: As each device burns out, soak it using a hose or bucket of water.
After: Place all used items in a covered, fireproof container and leave it outside and away from homes and buildings.
"Fireworks are beautiful and add fun and excitement to holiday celebrations. But you must be fireworks smart when you use them!" says National Council Vice President Jack Leonard
And remember the following special fireworks safety tips for sparklers:
- Children under the age of 12 should not use sparklers without very close adult supervision.
- Always remain standing while using sparklers.
- Never hold a child in your arms while using sparklers.
- Never hold, or light, more than one sparkler at a time.
- Sparklers and bare feet can be a painful combination. Always wear closed-toe shoes when using sparklers.
- Sparkler wire and stick remain hot long after the flame has gone out. Be sure to drop the spent sparklers directly in a bucket of water.
- Never hand a lighted sparkler to another person. Give them the unlit sparkler and then light it.
- Always stand at least 6 feet from another person while using sparklers.
- Never throw sparklers.
- Show children how to hold sparklers away from their body and at arm's length.
- Teach children not to wave sparklers, especially wooden stick sparklers, or run while holding sparklers.
The National Council on Fireworks Safety is a 501(c)(3) charitable organization whose sole mission is to educate the public on the safe and responsible use of consumer fireworks. For a full list of consumer fireworks safety tips and a safety video, please visit http://www.FireworksSafety.org.
Contact: Nancy Blogin, President, 816 977-5838, or Jack Leonard, Vice President, 410 287-2365, ext. 11
SOURCE National Council on Fireworks Safety