WALTHAM, Mass., July 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- The first half of 2011 continued exceptional growth in all business areas for Black Duck Software, the leading global provider of strategy, products and services for accelerating software development through the managed use of open source software. First-half results included sales growth of 37 percent worldwide, while the company's Asia-Pacific business more than doubled compared to the same period in 2010, reflecting growing global awareness of the need for open source governance solutions in the region.
Since the release of Black Duck® Suite 6 – the company's flagship enterprise-class solution for the management, compliance and security challenges associated with open source use at enterprise scale – sales increased rapidly, proving the value of an integrated solution for open source lifecycle management. Released in the first quarter of 2011, Suite 6 adoption has exceeded company expectations and received tremendous customer acceptance.
Second quarter 2011 milestones included:
- The addition of 60 new customers in markets such as mobile, enterprise software, telecom equipment and technology manufacturing, include BAE Systems, Bouygues Telecom, Carbonite, Cray, Inc., Kyocera Mita, Nuance Communications, Saba and XS Embedded. Black Duck's customer count is approaching 1,000.
- New international partnerships, including Softworx Technology Group, a Canadian provider of ALM development tools and platforms designed to increase developer productivity and CS Systems, a Paris-based global systems integrator whose customers include Airbus, SAP and Siemens. These international partners further solidify Black Duck's global presence.
- Black Duck was honored as a 2011 SBANE Innovation Award Winner. The prestigious award, conferred by the Smaller Business Association of New England (SBANE), recognized Black Duck for innovations that help organizations find, use and effectively manage open source software.
- Black Duck was named to the SD Times 100 for the fourth consecutive year. The SD Times list recognizes leaders, innovators and influencers in software development.
- Black Duck announced support for the SPDX Beta Release, an open source standard under development by the SPDX Working Group of the Linux Foundation. SPDX provides a uniform approach for documenting and sharing metadata about software components in products and software. Black Duck implemented SPDX in the Suite, which generates SPDX output as part of its reporting process at no additional charge to clients. Black Duck also co-chairs the SPDX Working Group.
"Black Duck continues to expand its global footprint serving enterprises for which open source is an innovation accelerator," said Tim Yeaton, Black Duck Software president and CEO. "Our continued growth is a testament to the value of open source, and recognition of the importance of automating the management and governance of its use for competitive edge in a challenging global economy."
About Black Duck Software
Black Duck Software is the leading provider of strategy, products and services for automating the management, governance and secure use of free and open source software (FOSS), at enterprise scale, in a multi-source development process. Black Duck® powers Koders.com, the industry's leading code search engine for open source; Ohloh.net, the largest FOSS community and free public directory of open source, and The Olliance Group, the leading open source business and strategy consulting firm. Among the 400 largest software companies in the world, according to Softwaremag.com, the company is headquartered near Boston and has offices in San Mateo, London, Paris, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Tokyo and Beijing. For more information, visit www.blackducksoftware.com.
SOURCE Black Duck Software