LONDON, Nov. 3, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Burberry has unveiled the stars of its 2015 Festive campaign. An all-British cast of actors, musicians and models will appear in a brand new 3-minute film that premieres across Burberry platforms at 7pm GMT Tuesday 3 November.
The line-up features Sir Elton John, James Corden, Julie Walters, Romeo Beckham, Naomi Campbell, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, Michelle Dockery, James Bay, George Ezra and Toby Huntington-Whiteley.
The "Burberry Festive Film" pays tribute to the iconic BAFTA-winning British film Billy Elliot, which this year celebrates its 15th anniversary. It is based on the much-loved opening sequence of the film and features original footage as well as the original soundtrack, 'Cosmic Dancer' by T Rex.
The "Burberry Festive Film" will be premiered Tuesday November 3rd, at the brand's global flagship store, 121 Regent Street, in London, during an event hosted by Burberry Chief Creative and Chief Executive Officer Christopher Bailey and Sir Elton John.
The campaign will then be shared from 7pm across Burberry platforms including Burberry.com, Instagram, YouTube, Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Sina Weibo until the end of the year.
World-renowned photographer, Mario Testino, also shot a separate stills campaign featuring Romeo Beckham, Naomi Campbell, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and James Bay that will run across print and digital titles.
Celebrating Billy Elliot's legacy
The original production of Billy Elliot established a legacy of charitable support for the local community of Easington, County Durham where the film is set. Inspired by this, Burberry is making a donation of GBP500,000 to be split between two charities, Place2Be and the County Durham Community Foundation, that have projects focusing on reducing barriers to education, training and employment in the local area.
This donation is made in recognition of each artist's participation in the campaign.
Burberry Festive Gifts - Celebrating Burberry Icons
The launch of the campaign coincides with the availability of the full range of Burberry festive gifts in store and on Burberry.com. This includes iconic pieces which are celebrated in the campaign - the made in England heritage trench coat, the made in Scotland cashmere scarf, Burberry tailoring, limited edition embellished gowns and The Baby Bucket Bag, as well as a new Burberry Beauty make-up look created by Burberry Make-up Artistic Consultant Wendy Rowe.
The Book of Gifts also launches on Burberry.com today with a curation of the brand's most giftable items for the festive season, including items featured in the campaign and other inspiring gift ideas for men, women, children and the home. A Collect-in-Store service also allows customers to shop online at Burberry.com globally, and collect the order at a Burberry store of their choice, as early as the next day.
For more information
Click here for further Burberry festive campaign and collection information and content. (Username: burberry; Password: burberry1856).
NOTES TO EDITORS
THE ICONIC BRITISH CAST LIST
- The film features a cast of British icons from film, TV, music and fashion
- The full cast list
- James Bay, British musician - this is his first Burberry campaign. James performed live at the Burberry WW SS15 show, and has recorded tracks for Burberry Acoustic - www.jamesbay.com
- Romeo Beckham, British Burberry Family member - stars in his second Burberry Festive campaign, and first worked with Burberry on the SS13 campaign
- Naomi Campbell, British Burberry model - this marks her third Burberry campaign, her first campaign was in 2001
- James Corden, British actor and TV presenter - this is his first Burberry campaign. He attended and closed the Burberry 'London in Los Angeles' show earlier this year. He was also awarded the 2015 Britannia for "British Artist of the Year presented by Burberry" in LA on 30 October 2015
- Michelle Dockery, British actress - this is her first Burberry campaign
- George Ezra, British musician - this is his first Burberry campaign. He performed live at the Burberry 'London in Los Angeles' show earlier this year, following the Burberry MW AW14 show, and at the Burberry event in Shanghai in April 2014 - www.georgeezra.com
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley, British actress and Burberry model - this campaign marks her fourth Burberry campaign, her first was in 2008, and most famously Rosie was the face of the Burberry Body fragrance campaign
- Toby Huntington-Whiteley, British model - this is his first Burberry campaign
- Sir Elton John, iconic British singer and songwriter - Longstanding member of the Burberry family, this is his first Burberry campaign. Sir Elton John wrote the music for Billy Elliot the Musical - celebrating its 10 year anniversary this year - www.eltonjohn.com
- Julie Walters, award-winning British actress - this is her first Burberry campaign. Julie played the role of Mrs Wilkinson - Billy Elliot's ballet teacher - in the original film, a role for which she won the BAFTA for Best Supporting Actress in 2001
MARIO TESTINO FESTIVE IMAGES
- Shot in London, England the campaign features images of Romeo Beckham, Naomi Campbell, Rosie Huntington-Whiteley and James Bay
ABOUT THE BURBERRY FESTIVE FILM
- Directed by Christopher Bailey, the film features a cast of British icons from film, TV, music and fashion
- The film was shot at Park Royal Studios in London
ABOUT BILLY ELLIOT
- The "Burberry Festive Film" is inspired by Billy Elliot, the iconic British film, which this year celebrates its 15th anniversary
- The film is set in North-East England during the 1984-85 coal miners' strike and focuses on an 11-year-old Billy Elliot, an aspiring male dancer
- At the 2001 British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Awards, the film won Best British Film, and Julie Walters won Best Actress in a Supporting Role for her role as Billy's ballet teacher
- Billy Elliot was adapted for the West End stage as Billy Elliot the Musical in 2005 - the musical is celebrating its 10th anniversary this year
- Place2Be is the leading children's mental health charity providing in-school support and expert training to improve the emotional wellbeing of pupils, families, teachers and school staff
- Place2Be provides mental-health support and counseling to tens of thousands of children and parents across the UK every year
- Place2Be's highly skilled practitioners deliver services in 235 schools across the UK, offering a menu of services for primary and secondary schools, providing support for children, parents, teachers and school staff
- Burberry's donation will fully underwrite Place2Be's services in all seven schools around Easington, in Country Durham, over the next two years, helping up to 2,000 young people each year
COUNTY DURHAM COMMUNITY FOUNDATION
- County Durham Community Foundation manages charitable funds donated by local individuals, families, businesses and trusts, building up a source of long-term support for the community and acting as the vital link between donors and local needs, enabling people to achieve far more than they could by themselves
- The County Durham Community Foundation supports formerly unemployed young people in finding apprenticeships and work-based learning in the Easington area. It is dedicated to helping communities grow by creating opportunities and tackling disadvantage and exclusion
- Burberry's donation will generate grants that will be paid directly to young people to assist with expenses such as transport, workwear and childcare. By removing these concerns, we will enable young people to focus on developing the skills they need to succeed
- 'Cosmic Dancer' by T-Rex - the track which accompanies the opening credits of Billy Elliot - features in its original studio recording in the "Burberry Festive Film", having received the rights from T Rex's estate to use the track
- 'Cosmic Dancer' holds particular significance for Burberry - it has been previously performed by emerging British musicians Clare Maguire (Burberry Menswear Autumn/Winter 2015 show) and by Tom Odell (at the Burberry 'London in Los Angeles' event in April 2015)
THE FESTIVE WARDROBE
- The cast wear made in England heritage and seasonal trench coats, with made in Scotland cashmere scarves from The Scarf Bar and Autumn/Winter 2015 runway styles monogrammed with their initials. They are also dressed in Burberry tailoring, limited edition embellished gowns and The Baby Bucket Bag
- The launch of the campaign coincides with the availability of the full range of Burberry festive gifts in store and on Burberry.com
- Make-up is by Wendy Rowe, Burberry Make-up Artistic Consultant, using Burberry Beauty
THE FESTIVE COLLECTION
- A collection of Burberry's most luxurious giftable items for the festive season, from British-inspired key charms to cashmere Thomas Bears and the Burberry trench coat
- This year Burberry introduces The Burberry Scarf Bar. Made in Scotland and available to monogram, the selection of iconic cashmere scarves has been expanded to include new colours, designs and prints
- Burberry's iconic scarves are made in Scotland at two distinguished mills in the towns of Elgin and Ayr, each with a rich history of producing cashmere scarves using the finest materials and craftsmanship techniques
- The Burberry monogramming service allows for personalisation of iconic products including Burberry scarves for men, women and children, the My Burberry fragrance for women, as well as the iconic Burberry ponchos with up to three initials in the Burberry font, allowing global customers the ability to personalise bespoke gifts for their loved ones
- Established in 1856, Burberry is a global British luxury brand with a heritage of innovation, craftsmanship and design
- The Burberry business comprises 5 divisions: mens, womens, childrens, accessories and beauty
- Burberry is headquartered in London and listed on the London Stock Exchange (BRBY.L), Burberry is a constituent of the FTSE 100 index
- Visit www.burberry.com for further information
VIDEO NEWS RELEASE 3rd Nov 2015
- A Video News release of the event will be available at approximately 2100GMT from the following platforms
- Red Robot MediaGrab: https://redrobot.filecamp.com/files/28c0-no4qqf7q
Reuters Media Express: https://go.mediaexpress.reuters.com/agencyaccess/go/