CHICAGO, July 25, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- car2go, the world's largest and fastest-growing free-floating carshare service, officially launched in Chicago today, marking the company's 25th global city. car2go is the first service of its kind to operate on the streets of Chicago, a city ideally suited for flexible one-way carshare. Chicagoans can now reserve affordable, eco-friendly compact vehicles through the car2go app, as well as register for free membership at www.car2go.com/US/en/Chicago.
car2go celebrated its Chicago launch today at Pioneer Court with a special performance by the Jesse White Tumblers. Joining in the celebration were Alderman Walter Burnett, Alderman Brian Hopkins, Jesse White Secretary of State of Illinois, various transportation officials and other community leaders who expressed their excitement in unveiling this unique mobility option to city residents and visitors.
"This pilot program demonstrates Chicago's commitment to transportation innovation and providing reliable ways to travel the city," Mayor Rahm Emanuel said. "I look forward to seeing car2go succeed and grow, offering a new transportation option in neighborhoods across Chicago."
"Carsharing continues to gain momentum worldwide as more people move into dense urban cores and seek simple, on-demand, eco-friendly solutions for making short- or long-term trips," said Olivier Reppert, CEO of the car2go Group GmbH. "Chicago is a perfect match for a mobility service like ours, and the support we have received from city leaders to bring car2go to Chicago has been outstanding. On behalf of car2go globally, I want to thank the City of Chicago for their support. We look forward to improving quality of life in Chicago through a great new flexible, affordable mobility option for Chicagoans."
Beginning today, car2go will offer a fleet of 400 vehicles for rent, including smart fortwos and Mercedes-Benz CLA and GLA vehicles, as part of the pilot program approved by City Council in March 2018. car2go members can now enjoy the benefits of making one-way trips without having to pick-up or return car2go vehicles at fixed locations or return them at a designated time. In addition, insurance, fuel, maintenance and parking is all included in the service's affordable rates.
"Traveling to and from work safely, inexpensively, and conveniently is essential for employees working within the Chicago restaurant and hospitality industries," said Sam Toia, President and CEO of the Illinois Restaurant Association. "This is where a service like car2go can pay huge dividends in helping to address one of the industry's most pressing needs. Supporting innovative technologies like car2go is critical in keeping Chicago moving."
Today Chicagoans join over three million car2go members in 24 other global cities already enjoying the many benefits of access to shared vehicles without the hassles and expense of city car ownership. car2go provides numerous economic and environmental benefits to the cities in which it operates, with a recent U.C. Berkeley study highlighting how car2go helps mitigate traffic congestion by removing up to 11 privately owned vehicles per car2go from the road.
A NEW WAY TO GET AROUND CHICAGO
- car2go members can view, reserve and access car2go vehicles via car2go's award-winning mobile app, which is available on iPhone and Android smartphone devices.
- Chicagoans can register today for free by using the code CHI2018. They'll also receive $15 in car2go credit. Offer valid through August 23, 2018 after which car2go members only pay a standard one-time $5 sign up cost, in addition to their use of the a car2go vehicle – whether that be by the minute or by using the Trip Package that works best for them.
- Fuel, parking, insurance, and maintenance are all included.
- No monthly or annual fees.
- When members are finished using a vehicle, they may park at any approved parking space within the car2go Home Area. This includes on-street residential permit parking and designated car2go parking spaces. The borders of the Home Area are clearly identified in the car2go app.
- car2go's current Home Area includes 29 square miles, extending from Cermak north to Foster, and from Kimball and Homan eastward to portions of Lake Michigan.
- car2go will participate in the city's free-float carshare pilot beginning with 400 eco-friendly smart fortwos and Mercedes-Benz CLA and GLA vehicles.
- car2go is the first carsharing service in the U.S. to actively support Vision Zero by providing its members free online road safety courses by the National Safety Council. Through December 31, 2018 car2go is rewarding all U.S. members – including those now in Chicago – with $15 in car2go credit who complete the Distracted Driving course. An additional four modules are also available for members to take to improve their road safety education.
Carshare –especially free-floating carshare services like car2go – is growing exponentially across the world. A recent study from Frost & Sullivan1 predicts the number of worldwide carsharing users will increase from 7.9 million to over 36 million by 2025. Every 1.2 seconds, someone in the world takes a trip in a car2go vehicle.
For more information, or to register to become a car2go member, please visit www.car2go.com/US/en/Chicago. Make sure to follow @car2goChicago on Twitter, @car2go on Instagram, and on facebook.com/car2go.
About car2go N.A. LLC
car2go N.A., LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Daimler North America Corporation, offers an innovative mobility solution in rapidly growing urban areas via a carsharing network of affordable, eco-friendly Mercedes-Benz and smart vehicles. A flexible and "on demand" mode of transportation, car2go complements existing public transportation by bridging the gaps between the "first and last mile" of a member's commute. car2go members use a free, downloadable app on their smartphone to find, reserve, take and end trips in car2go vehicles.
Fast Company named car2go one of the most innovative transportation companies of 2018. TIME Magazine ranked the car2go app #5 on its "Top 10 Apps of 2017" list. Today, car2go's global operation is the largest, fastest-growing carsharing program in the world with more than three million registered members and a fleet of nearly 14,400 vehicles in 25 cities in North America, Europe and Asia. Further information on car2go is available at car2go.com and car2go.com/NA/en/press/.
1 "Future of Carsharing Market to 2025", published August, 2016 by Frost & Sullivan
SOURCE car2go North America LLC