DUBLIN, June 28, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- The "CCD Image Sensors Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2019 - 2024)" report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com's offering.
The CCD Image Sensors Market was valued at USD 1.72 billion in 2018 and is expected to reach USD 2.45 billion by 2024, at a CAGR projected at 6% over the forecast period 2019-2024.
The adoption of CCD image sensors for the automatic optical inspection (AOI) and the better camera facility in the smartphone industry is among the major factor driving the market.
- In the smartphone section of the consumer electronics industry, the new technologies based innovations for better camera facility features, to diverse solutions for mobile devices to take better photographs. Additionally, for the automotive industry, to enable safer driving experiences, frame transfer CCD sensor and interline transfer CCD sensors are being widely adopted.
- The growing demand in the industrial sector for improved performance, particularly for different applications operating in near-infrared wavelengths, there is extensive usage of CCD image sensor to avoid the reduction in image sharpness.
- However, less expensive and better battery life of CMOS image sensors is creating a challengable environment in the growth of the CCD image sensors market.
Scope of the Report
CCDs uses a special manufacturing process to create the ability to transport charge across the chip without distortion. This process leads to very high-quality sensors in terms of fidelity and light sensitivity. CCDs tend to be used in cameras that mostly focus on high-quality images with a lot of pixels and excellent light sensitivity requirement and therefore are preferred in such industrial applications. The CCD captures light and converts it to digital data that is recorded by the camera. For this reason, a CCD is often considered the digital version of the film and is an upgrade over film-based product.
Key Market Trends
High-Quality Image Cased Inspection Expected to Drive the Demand
- In the end-user application industry, the usage of CCD image sensors is required for obtaining better quality images for the industrial inspection to keep a track on quality control and maximizing the yield in modern manufacturing, machine vision systems for automation and removing the human element.
- Industrial production in nations such as China, India has improved and require improved and automated inspection capabilities and are expected to support the market demand over the forecast period. 3D vision systems are among the innovative key areas of application for image sensors, which are currently used for industrial automation and machine vision. 3D vision with high-speed cameras and laser light can perceive the depth and detect the shape of objects effectively.
- The growing demand for advanced industrial production had been driving partnerships between the US and Chinese companies which helps China in getting advancement in the image sensors technology. The trade war situation between the two nation, however, is expected to negatively impact thus value chain flow. This is likely to further develop the Asia-Pacific CCD and CMOS image sensors market. However, the CMOS image sensor has broader use in automotive industry comparison to CCD image sensors.
- Partnerships and collaboration among the technology enablers are common in this market, for instance, in China, TowerJazz, manufacturer of advanced analog integrated circuits did a partnership with Changchun Changguang Yuanchen Microelectronics Technology Inc. for backside illumination (BSI) manufacturing in Changchun. In order to provide BSI process segment in China, TowerJazz is using CMOS image sensors.
Asia-Pacific Region is Expected to Hold Major Share
- Asia-Pacific dominates the CCD image sensors market due to the demand generated from China and India especially in the consumer electronics segment. China is considered the manufacturing hub of the world and the demand for the CCD image sensors is high in the consumer products requiring high image quality for the usage. better semiconductor supply chain presence has further helped in assisting the market demand.
- China and India, further, plan to install CCTV camera devices with the strategic goal of developing smart cities and improve the infrastructure in law enforcement. It is expected that for strategic places that require high-quality images, CCD image sensors may experience increased demand.
- The high growth of the market is mainly attributed to the rising purchasing power of the consumers, government expenditure in surveillance-related infrastructure, and increasing exposure to technological advancements.
- Players that are active in the regional market such as CZ industry and technology co., Ltd. (CZIT), a China-based company is delivering Tcd1304dg UV coated CCD linear image sensor for spectrometer module which is being used for OEM modular of the gas analyzer. Cost is an important factor for these vendors to operate in the regional market.
The CCD image sensors market is fragmented. Overall, the competitive rivalry among existing competitors is high as the market demand is in limited applications. The product innovation strategy of companies is expected to keep the market growing phase. Sensitivity to the price of raw material, use of patented technology are among some of the factors that impact the market.
- October 2018 - ON Semiconductor introduced CCD image sensor, the KAI-50140, that incorporates 50 megapixels with the industrial inspection as application. This sensor is being used in smartphone displays for making it possible to capture an image in the smartphone with 50MP of data.
- August 2017 - Hamamatsu Photonics K.K. developed a streak camera, FESCA-100, and achieves the highest level of temporal resolution because of a newly developed structural design. The FESCA-100 can measure optical phenomena in 100 femtoseconds (one-quadrillionth of a second) with a temporal resolution twice as high as conventional products.
- May 2017 - On Semiconductor introduced KAI-29052, the sensor which provides up to twice the sensitivity of the existing KAI-29050 at 500 to 1,050 nm to evolve the needs of industrial imaging applications such as high-end security, machine vision, and aerial surveillance and mapping requirement to continue advancements in the portfolio of image sensors serving this market.
Key Topics Covered:
1.1 Study Deliverables
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
4.2.1 Market Drivers
220.127.116.11 Increasing Need for High-quality Images
18.104.22.168 Increasing Safety Regulations and Adoption of ADAS
22.214.171.124 Demand from the Professional Imaging in Medical Segments
4.2.2 Market Restraints
4.2.3 High Power Consumption, Complex Manufacturing, Higher Cost in CCD Image Sensor
4.2.4 Growing Adoption of Competitive substitute CMOS
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Technology Snapshot
4.5.1 Frame Transfer CCD Sensor
4.5.2 Full Frame Transfer CCD Sensor
4.5.3 Interline Transfer CCD Sensor
4.5.4 Frame Interline Transfer CCD Sensor
5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
5.1 By Type
5.2 By End-user Application
5.2.1 Consumer Electronics
5.2.3 Security and Surveillance
5.2.4 Automotive & Transportation
5.2.5 Other End-user Applications
6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
6.1 Company Profiles
6.1.1 Aptina Imaging Corporation
6.1.2 Canon Inc.
6.1.3 Cmosis International NV
6.1.4 OmniVision Technologies, Inc.
6.1.5 ON Semiconductor Corporation
6.1.6 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
6.1.7 Sony Corporation
6.1.8 Fairchild Imaging Inc.
6.1.9 Thorlabs Scientific Imaging
6.1.10 Hamamatsu Photonics KK
6.1.11 Narragansett Imaging, LLC
6.1.12 Teledyne DALSA Inc.
6.1.13 Toshiba Corporation
7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/h74gne
Research and Markets also offers Custom Research services providing focused, comprehensive and tailored research.
Research and Markets
Laura Wood, Senior Manager
For E.S.T Office Hours Call +1-917-300-0470
For U.S./CAN Toll Free Call +1-800-526-8630
For GMT Office Hours Call +353-1-416-8900
U.S. Fax: 646-607-1907
Fax (outside U.S.): +353-1-481-1716
SOURCE Research and Markets