SEPTEMBER 15, 2010
WASHINGTON, Sept. 13 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following is being released by the Global Down Syndrome Foundation:
- Rep. Patrick Kennedy (D-Rhode Island)
- Supermodel Kathy Ireland
- Dr. Alan Guttmacher, Director of the Eunice Kennedy Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
- Kareem Dale, Associate Director, White House Office of Public Engagement & Special Assistant to the President for Disability Policy
- Rep. Cathy McMorris Rodgers (R-Washington)
- Ed McCabe, MD, PhD, Executive Director of the Linda Crnic Institute for Down Syndrome
- DeOndra Dixon, self-advocate and sister of actor Jamie Foxx
WHAT: Down syndrome, or Trisomy 21, is a genetic condition whereby there are three copies of the 21st chromosome instead of two. It is one of the leading causes of cognitive delay in the world and is the most frequent chromosomal disorder. One in 733 people in the United States are born with Down syndrome.
The Global Down Syndrome Foundation is honoring Rep. Kennedy for his work with the Congressional Down Syndrome Caucus. Rep. Kennedy is a co-chair of the Caucus, which is a strong advocate for more research that can enhance the lives of the more than 400,000 people with the condition in the US. Currently, most government and private research is focused on developing earlier detection of the condition versus improvement in life skills, medical care or cognition.
Rep. Rodgers, whose son has the condition, will give a keynote address, as will Dr. Guttmacher and Mr. Dale. Also speaking will be Ms. Ireland, whose niece has the condition. "Our niece Polly is a brilliant, beautiful, loving baby who is facing heart surgery Sept. 13th," said Ms. Ireland. "I believe Rep. Kennedy and every member of the bi-partisan Congressional Down Syndrome Caucus will do everything in their power to ensure that Polly and all champions of Down syndrome enjoy the same opportunities as every other child in our country."
WHEN: Wednesday, September 15, 2010
5 pm – 7 pm
Media is invited
WHERE: 2261 Rayburn House Office Building - Washington, DC
Please call or email Mr. Frisby to RSVP or arrange interviews with the participants.
SOURCE Global Down Syndrome Foundation