SAN FRANCISCO, Feb. 16, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Cobalt, the premier manufacturer of design-centric private aircrafts, today announced over $50 million in pre-orders of the company's first model, the Co50 Valkyrie, within the first 90 days. Following the public launch on November 12, 2015, the fully certified version, Co50 Valkyrie, has seen significant interest from investors, pilots and travel enthusiasts around the globe. Cobalt also welcomed a new test pilot to the team. James Schwartz, a former Delta pilot, will command Cobalt's test program for FAA certification.
"The Cobalt Valkyrie is a magnificent airplane and it has created a tremendous amount of much-deserved interest," said James Schwartz, lead test pilot at Cobalt. "It's a beautiful design, profoundly enjoyable to fly, and it will outperform anything in its class. I'm very happy for the opportunity to fly the Valkyrie, and excited to lead Cobalt's flight test program."
Upon opening the order book, Cobalt received hundreds of inquiries to buy the plane, including 29 orders that were placed within the first 24 hours. Many of the interested buyers are from top technology companies in Silicon Valley like Google and Apple. In addition to huge pre-orders from the U.S., the company also witnessed strong pre-order sales in top international markets, including Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Australia, and Brazil.
"Cobalt's initial pre-orders have exceeded my expectations," said David Loury, founder and chief executive officer of Cobalt. "The growing demand for the Valkyrie illustrates the real desire that people have to purchase a private aircraft that's design-centric, sleek and super fast. My vision is to reinvigorate the personal aviation market, starting with the Valkyrie."
The Top 5 Features: What Makes the Valkyrie Different
Cobalt Valkyrie's top features include:
- Built for speed. The Valkyrie is the fastest private aircraft in its class with the ability to travel up to 260 knots. In contrast, other single engine piston aircraft usually tap out at 242 knots. Cobalt's Valkyrie is the fastest single engine piston plane in its category.
- Super safe. The Valkyrie is a canard aircraft, equipped with a forewing to prevent the plane from stalling in the air. This provides a tremendous peace of mind to pilots and ensures the industry's safest landings and takeoffs. Cobalt promotes the highest standards of safety in the industry. An onboard parachute is also provided for an additional sense of security.
- Modern, elegant design and craftsmanship. Inspired by classic fighter jets with clean lines and premium finishes, the Valkyrie impresses with understated elegance. The exterior comes in a range of custom finishes including dark colors, typically harder on composites. The interior features premium leather seats, hand stitched by former Hermès craftsmen. The dashboard design is equally impressive with only one on/off switch and a tasteful place for your iPad. Cobalt will exclusively manufacture the Valkyrie in California to ensure quality standards and fast delivery to early buyers.
- Amazing visibility. Pilots flying Cobalt's Valkyrie will appreciate the beautiful, expansive visibility above and below. Valkyrie has the largest one-piece canopy in the world and unrivaled visibility with a 320-degree view.
- Luxurious comfort. The Valkyrie comfortably seats five people, including the pilot, with ample storage for golf clubs, skis and suitcases. The Valkyrie's propulsion engine is located in the rear of the plane, allowing for a quiet, comfortable cabin.
- Category: 5-seat Single Engine Piston
- Turbocharged 350HP, retractable, IFR-capable
- Oxygenized non-pressurized
- Cruise range: 1050 nautical miles (nmi) with NBAA IFR reserves
- Customization: Interior and exterior are fully customizable upon request
- Exact dimensions: 30 feet long x 30 feet wide x 10 feet high
Pricing and Availability
The Valkyrie costs $595,000 and is available for U.S. pre-order with a $15,000 deposit. The Valkyrie is targeted for availability in 2017. Additional options, including the type certification package, can be added during the pre-order process.
To ensure a handcrafted approach is taken with each and every plane, Cobalt has opened a wait list for the near-term to focus primarily on the production of all current pre-orders. Cobalt remains committed to building exceptional, high-end, custom planes. A safe production ramp up, consistent exceptional craftsmanship, and conformity to FAA regulations is Cobalt's first priority to ensure the utmost satisfaction from all of its customers.
Cobalt's mission is to transform the private aircraft experience with a new category of planes that are design-centric, stunningly sleek, modern, as well as super fast, safe and easy to fly. Cobalt's founder and CEO, David Loury, an aerospace engineer, French entrepreneur and designer, had the vision to improve the flying experience 10 years ago when he founded Cobalt. Cobalt's first plane, the Co50 Valkyrie, debuted in San Francisco and is now available for U.S. pre-order.
For more information, please visit www.cobalt-aircraft.com.