HUNT VALLEY, Md., Jan. 15, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Need a little warming up after a day out in the cold and snow? The McCormick Kitchens are sharing "hug in a mug"-themed desserts perfect for coming together after a day outside in a winter wonderland. Completely customizable, these treats are a delicious way for the whole family to stay warm this winter.
"What I love about these desserts is that they're fun and easy to make, whether you're whipping up a quick snack for the kids or treating yourself by cozying up on the couch with a little indulgence," said Mary Beth Harrington of the McCormick Kitchens. "A 'hug in a mug' can come in many forms, from cookies and cakes to hot drinks topped with homemade marshmallows or flavored whipped cream. Whichever you choose, these sweet, individual delights will chase your winter blues away."
Sweet Treats in a Mug
These handheld desserts can be made in the oven or microwave and tailored to please every palate. Simply add peppermint or raspberry extract to transform a fudgy brownie base or choose favorite candy pieces to personalize an oven-baked blondie flavored with cinnamon and vanilla extract. Make these extra special treats to enjoy on Valentine's Day, or any other day this winter.
- Red Velvet Mug Cake – The signature elements of red velvet cake – red color and chocolate flavor – in an easy microwavable recipe, ideal for sharing your love in a mug.
- Fudgy Mug Brownie – These decadent brownies are quickly made in the microwave. Add an extract like peppermint or raspberry for a twist on the classic brownie flavor.
- Candy Bar Mug Blondie – Let the kids add their favorite chopped-up candy bar to a rich blondie batter. The melted candy combined with pure vanilla extract results in a warm, ooey-gooey treat.
- Mexican Hot Chocolate "Cup" Cakes with Cocoa Whipped Cream – Flavored with cinnamon and cocoa powder, these little cakes get a hint of heat from ancho chile pepper.
Cold Days Call for Hot Chocolate
A piping mug of homemade hot chocolate is a wintertime classic. Add new flavor variations to a traditional chocolaty base to elevate your cup of comfort, including:
- Vanilla Cinnamon Hot Cocoa
- Red Velvet Hot Chocolate
- Pumpkin Pie Spiced Hot Chocolate with Coconut Milk
- Mexican Hot Chocolate
Don't forget the whipped cream! Add an extra helping of flavor to hot desserts and beverages with a dollop of Vanilla or Candy Cane whipped cream. Skip the spoon and use McCormick Cinnamon Sticks as a stirrer – they're the perfect length for mugs.
Add a little extra something to your warm beverage with flavorful homemade marshmallows. For a fun, kid-friendly snow day activity, check out McCormick's Easy Marshmallows Guide to create pillowy homemade marshmallows in flavors like Peppermint and Very Vanilla.
To download food photography, visit the digital press room at www.McCormick.com/Press-Room.
McCormick & Company, Incorporated is a global leader in flavor with more than $4 billion in annual sales. McCormick manufactures markets and distributes spices, seasoning mixes, condiments and other flavorful products to the entire food industry – retail outlets, food manufacturers and foodservice businesses – in more than 125 countries and territories. Since Willoughby M. McCormick founded the company selling root beer extract in 1889, McCormick has demonstrated a strong commitment to the communities in which it operates and the planet as a whole. Innovation in flavor and a clear focus on employee engagement and product quality has allowed McCormick to grow its business globally and become the flavor leader it is today. Visit mccormick.com, mccormickcorporation.com and Facebook.com/McCormickSpice for more information.
SOURCE McCormick & Company, Incorporated