NEW ORLEANS, Nov. 18, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- SC14 (Booth #2539) --
- Continuing to build on the company's unparalleled leadership in HPC innovation, at this year's SC14, DataDirect Networks (DDN) is revealing broad customer adoption and latest performance testing of its Infinite Memory Engine (IMETM) burst buffer and application acceleration technology.
- Ideal for a broad range of performance-hungry HPC applications, such as real-time analytic processing and modeling of Big Data across Life Sciences, Oil and Gas, Research and Financial Services industries among others, where support for high bandwidth and high IOPS workloads is essential, DDN is placing previews of IME technology into leading HPC facilities around the world and currently has placed test beds in over a dozen Top100 sites.
- Planning for exascale, accelerating time to discovery and extracting results from massive data sets requires organizations to continually seek faster and more efficient solutions to provision I/O and accelerate applications.
- DDN's IME is the world's first, application-aware, non-volatile memory enabled acceleration engine and buffer cache. IME resides between the high-performance compute and parallel file system in an HPC environment, and maximizes compute utilization without crippling the storage back-end. By virtualizing SSDs across the entire environment into a single fast tier of storage, users now can take advantage of the declining price of commodity hardware and deliver near in-memory performance to accelerate I/O, reduce latency and provide greater operational and economic efficiency.
- Providing multiple advantages over any competing technology, IME delivers scale-out data protection with distributed erasure coding, seamless integration with both Lustre® and GPFSTM environments, intelligent adaptive data placement, POSIX compatibility and standards-based HPC application interfaces.
- IME is designed for HPC users looking to benefit from technology that delivers orders of magnitude improvements in checkpointing and I/O-intensive HPC application performance.
- Heralding a major step forward in DDN's software defined storage strategy, the new IME technology demonstrates DDN's focus on designing state-of-the-art HPC and Big Data solutions, which also include WOS® Object Storage technologies as well as DDN's highly optimized SFA storage appliances.
IME Decouples Physical Storage from Compute Resources to Redefine the I/O Provisioning Paradigm, Driving Increased I/O and Application Performance, Flexibility and Lower Total Cost of Storage
- IME enables organizations to separate the provisioning of peak and sustained performance requirements with up to 70 percent greater operational efficiency and cost savings than utilizing exclusively disk-based parallel file systems.
- Inserting IME between the compute and parallel file system removes POSIX semantics that bring cluster performance to its knees due to the proliferation of small and mal-aligned I/O that can often make up 90 percent of the HPC workload. By shielding parallel file systems from fragmented I/O in cache, with IME users now can run jobs at or near line rate with more jobs in parallel resulting in faster time to insight.
- Unlike simple burst buffer technologies that have been designed for write-intensive, large file sequential operations such as checkpoint-restart, IME enables acceleration across a wide array of HPC applications and workloads with no application modifications required.
- In addition, IME enables greater flexibility and choice for end users due to its non-vendor-captive software-based approach. DDN's open, no vendor lock-in solution provides extreme flexibility in how users can architect their environments and a wide selection of specialty and commodity hardware platforms and components.
- Molly Rector, CMO, EVP Product Management and WW Marketing at DDN
"DDN's IME delivers a wide range of advances that will enable the next generation of high performance computing capabilities. IME is a complete game changer in application acceleration, performance optimization, SSD utilization and high-performance storage. Years of development and investment from some of the greatest minds in high performance computing have delivered IME as a transparent solution to any data-intensive HPC application. Building on DDN's unparalleled leadership in delivering extreme performance, and with more than a dozen active test beds in use today, this announcement delivers once again on DDN's leadership in HPC."
- Gilles Civario, Senior Software Architect, ICHEC
"DDN's IME can transform the I/O-bound problem back into a compute-bound problem. Using IME, ICHEC is seeing a 3x acceleration of the entire Tullow Oil production application — not just the I/O portion. Clearly there is great potential for this technology in this and other sectors."
- Tommy Minyard, Phd, Director of Advanced Computing Systems at TACC
"TACC is very excited to participate with DDN to perform large scale testing of DDN's IME on Stampede, currently one of the world's fastest supercomputers. This type of joint partnership testing enables TACC to prove powerful leading-edge advanced computing technologies for the open science community."
- IME is available in limited release today as part of DDN's IME testbed program.
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is a leader in data center infrastructure for Big Data and Cloud Storage applications. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver results from their information. Our customers include the world's leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, financial services, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN's solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world's most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today's information powered enterprise. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call +1-800-TERABYTE (837-2298).
©2014 All rights reserved. DataDirect Networks, Inc., DDN and IME are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners
DDN Media Contact:
Sr. Director, Global Corporate Communications
Email: [email protected]
SOURCE DataDirect Networks