SANTA CLARA, Calif., June 2, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- MSST 2014 --
- DataDirect Networks (DDN), the innovation leader for HPC and Big Data, today delivers another industry first with the availability of the world's densest storage solution with capacity of more than 5 PBs in a single rack.
- As the exponential growth of Big Data continues to put significant strain on IT infrastructures and budgets, organizations are looking for a long-term solution to successfully ingesting, storing, processing and distributing data. While performance remains a key storage requirement, increasingly HPC, financial services and large enterprise customers are also looking for solutions that help reduce data center sprawl, power consumption, administrative overhead and overall Total Cost of Ownership (TCO).
- Tuned for these critical needs of these markets, the DDN™ ultrahigh density SS8460 disk drive enclosures, in conjunction with the SFA™12K and SFA7700 storage platforms, now can handle up to 84 drives with 6 TB drives in just 4U rack space.
- By nearly doubling the amount of storage in a single rack than was previously available, DDN offers up to 40 percent more density as compared to even the highest density storage array offerings available in the market today, thereby slashing Operational Expense by half and delivering unprecedented levels of performance and scalability for organizations looking to solve their Big Data challenges.
Beyond OPEX and CAPEX: Architectural Innovation that Delivers Flexibility, Reliability, Availability and Storage Optimization
- Getting beyond the accounting conventions of OPEX and CAPEX, storage provisioning for Big Data today requires organizations rethink their approach to acquiring storage capacity, and balance capital outlay with a vendor's ability to provide innovation and long-term value add. DDN solutions are designed to not only drive down costs but also address the storage needs of organizations with an innovative and unique architectural approach designed to improve storage management and anticipate customers' future Big Data needs.
- DDN has incorporated multiple innovative features in its Storage Fusion Architecture (SFA) family of products and enclosures to make the company's storage solutions the world's densest. These innovations include being able to fit 84 high density drives in just 4U of rack space, designing components to generate as little heat as possible, and optimizing patterns of airflow to prevent hotspots to ensure that temperatures remain well within permissible limits.
- These features, combined with the ability to freely intermix SSD with SATA and SAS hard disk drives, even within a single enclosure, allow administrators to align Big Data to the appropriate tier and ensure higher media utilization, improved reliability and outstanding performance at the lowest TCO.
- Molly Rector, Chief Marketing Officer, DDN
"In a world where data growth is outpacing the power and space needed to store and manage it, customers are relying on the vendors that continually innovate to maximize data center footprint and power utilization. DDN's rich history in delivering market firsts is reinforced in this latest generation of storage enclosures which is designed to specifically meet customer requirements for massive density, performance and value. With this latest 5 PB offering, we continue to maintain our density lead in the market, as well as our position as the de facto choice for high performance storage for HPC, FSI and large enterprise customers."
- The SS8460 is available today and can be configured with either the SFA12K or SFA7700 products.
- More on the SS8460 storage enclosure
- More on SFA12K family
- More on SFA7700
- Follow DDN via Blog and Twitter
- Subscribe to DDN RSS Feed
About DataDirect Networks
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is the world leader in massively scalable storage. Our data storage and processing solutions and professional services enable content-rich and high growth IT environments to achieve the highest levels of systems scalability, efficiency and simplicity. DDN enables enterprises to extract value and deliver business results from their information. Our customers include the world's leading online content and social networking providers, high performance cloud and grid computing, life sciences, media production, and security and intelligence organizations. Deployed in thousands of mission critical environments worldwide, DDN's solutions have been designed, engineered and proven in the world's most scalable data centers to ensure competitive business advantage for today's information powered enterprise. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
©2014 All rights reserved. DDN, Storage Fusion Architecture and SFA12K are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
DDN Media Contact:
Sr. Director, Global Corporate Communications
SOURCE DataDirect Networks (DDN)