SANTA CLARA, Calif., Sept. 13, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- DataDirect Networks (DDN) today announced the WOS8460 – a new object storage appliance that delivers cost-optimized capacity with enough performance to support the growing number of object use cases. Leveraging DDN unique capabilities, the WOS8460 delivers hard cost advantages, faster performance, higher availability and greater density, in configurations that can start smaller and scale in more granular increments than competing offerings.
DDN WOS® is making it radically easier for IT organizations to realize object storage efficiencies across expanded use cases, such as active archive and collaborative communities. With almost 7PB of capacity per industry standard rack, the new WOS8460 provides a 20 percent density advantage over its closest competitor. WOS' superior density and ability to scale a single node at a time make it extremely efficient on space, power and cooling.
"Object storage is a rising star in data storage," said Chris M Evans, technology analyst and subject matter expert for the blog Architecting IT and co-founder of Langton Blue Ltd. "DDN is making object storage solutions practical for many uses beyond Web 2.0 and Enterprise IT to include collaboration communities, software-as-a-service and active archives. This is excellent news as it translates into big cost savings and new IT architectural options for many organizations across the world."
"Centralizing our storage requirements with DDN has saved us hundreds of thousands of dollars as we replaced separate systems with a comprehensive storage solution ideally suited for a diverse mix of scientific workflows," said Zachary Ramjan, research computing architect at Van Andel Research Institute. "As a result, our scientists now have unprecedented flexibility to explore and process research data using different instruments and varied workflows as needed."
DDN's complete suite of WOS object storage solutions includes two performance appliances: the WOS7000 and the new WOS8460 appliance, and the WOS9660 capacity appliance, plus WOS as software-only. Key DDN object storage advantages with WOS include:
- Highest object storage cost savings and efficiency: DDN's WOS solution suite takes the management and scalability TCO gains of object storage a step further with its unique NoFS® (no file system) architecture that offers hard cost savings versus competitive solutions. As the only object storage solution that doesn't require an underlying file system, WOS cuts hardware acquisition costs and is up to 99 percent efficient, which puts it well ahead of other object implementations that lose six to 20 percent efficiency due to file system overhead and block waste. It also provides significant operational cost savings for things like space saving, heating, cooling and administration.
- Highest object storage performance: DDN WOS delivers 1.25x the speed per node of competing commercial and open-source offerings, as verified by WOS customers in real-world applications. WOS' NoFS and built-in latency-mapping technology ensures the fastest route to requested data. WOS gives customers the critical performance levels needed to scale object storage implementations locally or across multiple sites.
- Industry-leading availability advantages: DDN WOS can rebuild failed drives within a single node, which reduces rebuild time and risk of data loss. This capability is important as drive sizes grow larger thus boosting rebuild times and challenging organizations' abilities to meet line of business data availability SLAs. By comparison, other object storage offerings rely on LAN or WAN-based rebuilds which significantly increases rebuild time and risk of data loss.
- Flexible and massive scalability: The simplicity of the WOS architecture allows organizations to start as small as a two-node WOS cluster in four standard rack units and scale in single node increments. Competitive offerings often require 5 to 20 servers to start and are extremely restrictive in how they scale. WOS can deliver up to a quarter-million drives in a single, shared namespace and provide a single view of files and objects, thus allowing it to provide high-performance storage for active archive and collaboration environments seamlessly.
DDN's appliance and software-only options give customers expanded architectural flexibility and choice. Appliance delivery models allow organizations to deploy complete, preconfigured solutions with end-to-end 24x7 support, while software-defined architectures give customers complete configuration flexibility and control. DDN started marketing software-only WOS a year ago, and in that time, the share of software-only customers has grown to more than 10 percent. The WOS software-only solution has given customers like Weill Cornell, Guosen Securities and Compute Canada the ability to specify industry-standard hardware from suppliers like HPE, Supermicro and Dell that fits specific requirements for their use cases.
"The growing number of use cases that object storage can satisfy represents a huge opportunity for DDN – especially as cases like collaboration and active archive for large and 'forever' data sets are concentrated in DDN customer sites and well-established DDN markets," said Molly Rector, CMO, executive vice president product management and worldwide marketing at DDN. "WOS' differentiated benefits give it a strong competitive advantage for current and emerging use cases, and with multiple appliance and software-only options customers have complete architectural flexibility and choice."
The new WOS8460 appliance will be generally available in November 2016.
- More on DDN WOS8460
- WOS Data Sheet
- More on DDN End-to-End Storage and Big Data Platforms
- More on DDN Customers
- Follow DDN: Blog, Twitter, LinkedIn and Facebook
DataDirect Networks (DDN) is the world's leading big data storage supplier to data-intensive, global organizations. For more than 15 years, DDN has designed, developed, deployed and optimized systems, software and storage solutions that enable enterprises, service providers, universities and government agencies to generate more value and to accelerate time to insight from their data and information, on premise and in the cloud. Organizations leverage the power of DDN storage technology and the deep technical expertise of its team to capture, store, process, analyze, collaborate and distribute data, information and content at largest scale in the most efficient, reliable and cost effective manner. DDN customers include many of the world's leading financial services firms and banks, healthcare and life science organizations, manufacturing and energy companies, government and research facilities, and web and cloud service providers. For more information, go to www.ddn.com or call 1-800-837-2298.
Sr. Director of Marketing
IGNITE Consulting, on behalf of DDN
Linda Dellett, 303-439-9398
Kathleen Sullivan, 303-439-9365
©2016 All rights reserved. DDN Storage, DDN, WOS and NoFS are trademarks owned by DataDirect Networks. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/ddns-new-object-storage-offering-enables-it-pros-to-deliver-high-performance-and-big-cost-savings-in-more-it-environments-300326549.html
SOURCE DataDirect Networks (DDN)