ROUND ROCK, Texas, March 29, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Dell announces its lightest, smallest and most power-efficient thin clienti that offers superb performance and manageability for task and basic productivity users. Compatible with Citrix, Microsoft and VMware virtual workspace environments, the Wyse 3040 thin client provides a cost-effective endpoint solution that is highly secure, yet easy to deploy and manage. It is the industry's first entry-level Intel x86-based quad-core thin clienti, delivering robust connectivity options and a choice of Wyse ThinOS or ThinLinux operating systems.
Today's workforce requires access to highly efficient, powerful systems and tools that enable them to innovate, collaborate and share information in a secure environment. In fact, more than 70 percent of millennials feel that advanced technology is crucial to a collaborative, productive and efficient work environment, according to the Dell Future Ready Workforce Study. The Wyse 3040 thin client is an affordable, efficient and easy to manage endpoint solution that allows IT managers to keep costs low while supporting basic productivity and light multitasking. It is ideal for customers across a range of industries, including highly-regulated sectors such as retail, finance, healthcare and education.
"Our customers are looking for that ideal blend of security, performance, energy efficiency and price," said Steve Lalla, Senior VP, Commercial Client Software & Solutions, Dell. "The new Wyse 3040 thin client – the smallest and most efficient thin client – exceeds expectations of what an entry-level thin client can do."
With a new slim line form factor starting at just 0.24kg (0.53lbs)ii, the Wyse 3040 is the first entry-level thin client to feature an Intel Atom X5 1.44GHz quad-core processor that supports up to 2GB DDR3 RAM and 8GB flash. Designed for efficiency, the Wyse 3040 delivers 30 percent better performance than previous generationsiii, making it ideal for light multimedia use and local application activity. With its small size, it's also easy to mount on the back of a monitor for a clean, de-cluttered workspace. Additional features include:
- Choice in Operating System: The Wyse 3040 comes with the virus-resistant Wyse ThinOS software that is ultra-secure with no published APIs and therefore no attack surface. Starting in June 2017, customers will also be able to choose Wyse ThinLinux, a thin client-optimized software based on SUSE Linux that has been further hardened and optimized by Dell for thin client environments.
- Robust Connectivity: Supporting a broad range of peripheral attachments and network connections to meet business needs, the Wyse 3040 thin client includes two DisplayPort interfaces, support for dual digital display (2560x1600), and four USB ports – one of which is USB 3.1 Gen 1 for high-speed connectivity.
- Easy Manageability: Dell offers a full suite of on-prem, off-prem and auto management software options to deliver robust, enterprise-level manageability that can scale to tens of thousands of devices. For simplified out-of-the-box automatic setup, configuration and management, Wyse Device Manager and Wyse Cloud Client Manager give IT teams remote configuration and policy management through a single, intuitive console.
The Wyse 3040 thin client is compatible with all of the major virtualization software brokers including Citrix XenDesktop, Microsoft RDS and VMware Horizon. In addition to the already supported Citrix HDX, Microsoft RDP and PCoIP protocols, Wyse 3040 will also support VMware Blast Extreme remote protocol starting June 2017.
Patrick Moorhead, Principal Analyst, Moor Insights & Strategy
"The demand for virtualized compute environments continue to grow as organizations better understand the ways they can make their workforce more mobile, productive, manageable and secure. The new Wyse 3040 thin client from Dell is an optimal entry-level virtualization endpoint, combining everything organizations need in a compact, power-efficient package that can easily fit into a variety of workspace set-ups, including home office environments."
The Wyse 3040 thin client with Wyse ThinOS is now available globally starting at US$329.
- Wyse 3040 Video Press Release:
- Wyse 3040 on Dell.com: http://www.dell.com/us/business/p/wyse-3040-thin-client/pd
Dell Inc., a part of Dell Technologies, provides customers of all sizes – including 98 percent of the Fortune 500 – with a broad, innovative portfolio from edge to core to cloud. Dell Inc. comprises Dell client as well as Dell EMC infrastructure offerings that enable organizations to modernize, automate and transform their data center while providing today's workforce and consumers what they need to securely connect, produce, and collaborate from anywhere at any time.
Copyright © 2017 Dell Inc. All rights reserved. Dell, Dell Inc., Wyse and the Dell logo are trademarks of Dell Technologies in the United States and/or other jurisdictions. All other marks and names mentioned herein may be trademarks of their respective companies.
i Based on Dell internal analysis, March 2017.
ii Weights vary depending on configuration and manufacturing variability.
iii Based on Dell internal analysis, comparing to the Wyse 3010 and 3020, March 2017.