NORWALK, Conn., Nov. 11, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- This Veterans Day, two Diageo brands are honoring our military with several initiatives designed to back the brave men and women who serve the United States. These activities mark the latest efforts in Diageo North America's ongoing commitment to support veterans and active duty military through financial contributions to military nonprofits, employee volunteerism and brand promotions for military families.
Crown Royal, the iconic whisky, has long been associated with honoring heroes from our Armed Forces through initiatives such as the Camo Care Package. This Veterans Day, Crown Royal honors Gunnery Sergeant Samuel Deeds in a series of video segments highlighted during a special Veterans Day marathon of the Bar Rescue program on Spike TV. Deeds is the winner of the Crown Royal "Your Hero's Name Here" program, and the segments focus on telling Deeds' story, and inspiring and guiding other veterans.
CIROC Ultra Premium Vodka will hold two events on Veterans Day honoring members of the Armed Forces. CIROC Military Ambassador Christopher Minaya will host fellow veterans at a dinner, and also at a CIROC-N-Bowl Special Veterans Day Salute event, both to be held today in New York City. In 2013 Christopher Minaya, a former Marine Corps captain, was introduced by Sean "Diddy" Combs as the first CIROC Military Brand Ambassador. In this role, Minaya works directly with the brand to help spread the message of responsible celebration throughout the military community.
"The military has always been an important focus for Diageo, and it's essential that we not only recognize what the members of our military do for all of us, but that we also give back to them," said Guy Smith, Executive Vice President, Diageo North America. "Our servicemen and servicewomen deserve to be celebrated - not just on Veterans Day, but every day, and everywhere."
Through its Diageo Salutes the Troops initiative, the global leader in beverage alcohol pays tribute to members of the military all year round. The program is an extension of the work Diageo does around the globe to provide humanitarian relief, and was developed to support veterans and active duty personnel in ways that make a direct and meaningful impact on their lives, as well as their families' lives. Components of the Diageo Salutes the Troops program include:
- iPads for Soldiers partnership: This organization donates iPads to soldiers in battle and wounded warriors who then use them as morale boosters and key elements in the recovery process. With Diageo's support, more than 7,000 iPads have been provided.
- Packages from Home partnership: Collecting donated items from across America, this grassroots effort provides food, personal care and recreational items to deployed American troops, at no cost to the troops. With Diageo's support, more than 750,000 care packages have been provided to service men and women.
- NORC at the University of Chicago partnership: An independent research organization based at the University of Chicago, NORC is developing a Department of Defense alcohol screening and brief intervention system which is currently being implemented into all military health clinics worldwide.
- Diageo marketing programs: Diageo works hand-in-hand with military exchange executives to ensure marketing programs meet high responsibility standards and connect with the needs of soldiers and their spouses. Diageo has special military programs where soldiers can win prizes like a St. Croix adventure through Captain Morgan, or a trip to experience the red carpet at the Oscars and related after parties.
- Sponsorship and product support: Diageo provides support for military events such as the Navy-Marine Corps Ball and the American Airlines Sky Ball (which raises funds to support military and their families).
For more information about how Diageo gives back to soldiers through partnerships and charitable collaborations, visit http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/sponsorvideo/salute-the-troops-diageo-gives-back-to-soldiers-with-charitable.
Diageo is a global leader in beverage alcohol with an outstanding collection of brands across spirits, beer and wine categories. These brands include Johnnie Walker, Crown Royal, J&B, Buchanan's, Windsor and Bushmills whiskies, Smirnoff, Ciroc and Ketel One vodkas, Captain Morgan, Baileys, Don Julio, Tanqueray and Guinness.
Diageo is a global company, and our products are sold in more than 180 countries around the world. The company is listed on both the London Stock Exchange (DGE) and the New York Stock Exchange (DEO). For more information about Diageo, our people, our brands, and performance, visit us at www.diageo.com. Visit Diageo's global responsible drinking resource, www.DRINKiQ.com, for information, initiatives, and ways to share best practice.
Celebrating life, every day, everywhere.