NEW YORK, May 13, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Discovery U.S. Hispanic enters the 2019-2020 Upfront season as a force in the Hispanic media landscape, with its networks Discovery en Español and Discovery Familia claiming nearly a quarter of the total share for all Hispanic cable primetime viewing1. The networks today presented their Upfront slates, featuring new and original premiere hours across both Discovery en Español and Discovery Familia. Discovery US Hispanic's TVE products, Discovery en Español GO and Discovery Familia GO, will house more than 7,000 episodes by the end of 2019, while additionally offering exclusive digital content to give viewers even more of their favorite programs.
"We are grateful to our loyal viewers for continuing to choose our networks as their destination for high quality, real-world shows that resonate with their interests, lives, and aspirations," said Eduardo Hauser, General Manager U.S. Hispanic. "Our beloved, fast-growing brands continue to strike a chord, and we are committed to making a genuine and authentic connection to our audience. That's why we're strengthening the features and content of our entire portfolio, including our leading channels and our digital TV everywhere GO Apps, for the enjoyment of existing and new viewers – anytime, anywhere, on the platform of their choice."
The fastest-growing network in Hispanic television2, Discovery Familia, celebrates the differences in how we all live but focuses on the things that unite us – from families and relationships to food, home improvement and health. This Upfront season, Discovery Familia will offer new series such as Juntas y revueltas (sMothered) and Cristina en la Costa (Christina on the Coast) and returning hits like Todo en 90 días (90 Day Fiancé) and Hermanos a la obra (Property Brothers).
Discovery en Español, the #1 non-fiction cable, has led all Spanish language cable for length of tune3, and will continue to entice audiences with upcoming programs such as Planeta profundo (Deep Planet), Leyendas de lo salvaje (Legends of the Wild), and original series Mexicuaticos. Discovery en Español's real-life cast of characters seeks out the new and undiscovered in the worlds of ingenuity, natural history, current affairs, adventure, entrepreneurship and top automotive content from Motortrend.
Having launched just one year ago, Discovery US Hispanic's TVE products, Discovery en Español GO and Discovery Familia GO, are now available on top platforms including IOS, Android, Roku and FireTV. The GO apps have over 200,000 active users and have grown at an average rate of 18% per month. With over 150 complete series currently available across both networks, the GO Experience also offers GO Originales, a series of exclusive short-form content available on both GO Apps. This digital programming lineup focuses on genres including Auto, Adventure, Food, Travel and Lifestyle, as well as Tech and Innovation.
Based upon viewer interests and demand, Discovery U.S. Hispanic is also developing new and exciting brand extensions drawing from Discovery Inc.'s leadership in key content genres across its portfolio of 17 core brands. One such project is Hogar de HGTV, the first and only Spanish-language destination for food and home enthusiasts, to launch in 2019/20 Upfront season. Additional details are forthcoming.
Programming highlights for Discovery U.S. Hispanic's 2019-20 Upfront slate include:
DISCOVERY EN ESPAÑOL
- Mexicuáticos (Original): It's Tanked meets Insane Pools in this new docu-reality series about a small, award-winning family business that's making a splash in El Paso, Texas. Mexicuáticos is led by a dynamic father and son duo who are pushing construction boundaries with over-the-top pools and aquariums for demanding customers all along southern Texas, New Mexico and the northern Mexican border. This series promises the natural drama of a family run business, with no shortage of creative genius and how-to takeaways to feed the curious mind of the Discovery en Español viewer. The stakes are high, the projects visually captivating, and each episode is full of "how-will-they-pull-it-off?" moments leading up to spectacular transformation reveals.
- Héroes en uniforme T2 (Heroes in Uniform S2; Original): This intense, real-life documentary series follows the daily service of firefighters and paramedics as they solve life-or-death situations. A central fire station opens its doors, where we'll uncover a world of extreme, dramatic and impactful cases that simply make up the day-to-day of these brave men and women.
- Los millones de Escobar T2 (Escobar's Millions S2): Pablo Escobar, at one time the most wanted man on the planet, buried masses of his estimated $50 billion fortune all over Colombia - the vast majority of which has never been recovered. In the second season of Los millones de Escobar, the search continues the attempt to retrace where these long-lost stashes of cash.
- Serengeti: This breathtaking six-part series takes viewers into the heart of Africa's Serengeti, with a unique and immersive viewpoint that humanizes the drama that unfolds in the wild. Shot in 4K, this is the first collaboration between Simon Fuller's XIX Entertainment and the BBC.
- Planeta profundo (Deep Planet): Multibillionaire and adventurer Victor Vescuvo has set a new challenge for himself - to build and navigate a vessel that can safely take him to never explored ocean floors around the world. His goal? To be the first to fully map the sea floor, while discovering new species, hunting for rare metals in underwater volcanoes, and adding to the foundation of understanding of the oceans in a way that could change the way we see the world.
- Tras las leyendas del océano (Chasing Ocean Giants): Patrick Dykstra is a modern-day sea adventurer, hellbent on uncovering the truth behind the monsters and mysteries of the least explored environment on the planet: the ocean. In a continuing series of adrenaline-fueled adventure and blue-chip natural history, Patrick journeys to some of the world's most remote and hostile places to discover the truth behind the stories and legends of our ocean monsters.
- El acuario (The Aquarium): For the first time ever, the Georgia Aquarium is opening its doors to showcase the inner-workings of the Western Hemisphere's largest aquarium, documenting the incredible aquatic animals who call the 10 million gallons at the aquarium home, and the people dedicated to their care. The series also documents the Georgia Aquarium's ongoing efforts to protect species in nature, both in their own backyard and around the world.
- Evan a lo salvaje (Evan Goes Wild): Dr. Evan Antin combines his passions for veterinary medicine and wildlife conservation while raising awareness about animals around the world. Throughout the series, Dr. Antin swims alongside humpback whales, explores caves with bats and snakes, tangles with crocs, and dives with sharks, while also lending a helping hand to animals in need along the way. With millions of social media followers, the vet's popularity continues to grow because of his loving interactions with animals, which he documents and shares via videos and factoids.
- Coyote Peterson: Popular YouTube personality and animal expert Coyote Peterson is one of the most beloved and trusted animal personalities in the world, with over 11 million YouTube subscribers, billions of video views and a massive global audience of kids and families. Now, he's taking viewers on a wild adventure seeking out amazing up-close encounters with some of the most incredible and dangerous animals on the planet. Coyote brings the animal kingdom to vivid life and isn't afraid to get dirty doing it.
- Mexicánicos S6 (Original): This top-rated docu-reality series profiles the engineering and creative challenges that Martín Vaca and his collaborators encounter in the process of renovating unique and surprising vehicles. All episodes take place at Vaca Limousines, one of the Mexico's largest conversion workshops, which specializes in creating customized limousines, hearses and hot rods. As long as it has wheels and an engine, no vehicle is off limits for Martín and his team, whose creations include a Boeing 727 converted into a limousine; a giant limo shaped like a vintage ocean liner; and a car in the shape of a chili pepper.
- Los autos más veloces del sur (Fastest Cars in the Dirty South): The mysterious world of grudge racing, a form of closed track drag racing emerging now as a new standard in this "big engine" sport, is now revealed. There's no other grudge racer out there quite like Eric Malone - a master mechanic, who can be found buried under a car hood, tuning and stoking an engine to its utmost potential, and of course roaring down a track. Join Eric and his team as the customize, restore and create the Fastest Cars in the Dirty South.
- Gas Monkey al rescate T2 (Garage Rehab S2): Richard Rawlings uses his time, money, and resources to help a failing garage right in his own backyard of Dallas, TX. He and his crew have less than a week to completely overhaul the shop and give the owner a reboot, in hopes of becoming a successful business.
- American Chopper S2: Paul Teutul Sr. and Paul Teutul Jr. are back - to build world class custom motorcycles, their pre-eminent bike brands and - God willing- a lasting, functional father and son relationship.
- En el fango (Dirty Mudder Truckers): Partnering up with the creators of Trucks Gone Wild, each week viewers follow the grassroots, self-made, automotive renegades who modify and customize their trucks to compete in the ultimate off-road test. This is where blue-collar builders put their work on the line as they go head to head on the most epic course in the U.S.A.
- Misión: drifting (Drift This): Professional drifters Chris Forsberg and Ryan Tuerck will build, boost or break what is needed to make purpose-built vehicles drift no matter what - from a UPS Truck to a riding mower, from a smart car to a double-decker bus. Using creative engineering, custom fabrication or just pure brute horsepower, they'll make sure it drifts…or blow it up in the process!
- Leyendas de lo salvaje (Legends of the Wild): They've investigated savage black panthers in Australia and solved the mystery of tree climbing crocodiles. Legends of the Wild now follows childhood friends Damian Duffy, a certified wilderness guide, and Matt Hoffman, a wildlife photographer and storm chaser, as they trek deep into the world's most dangerous areas - continuing their search for answers to nature's most compelling mysteries.
- Ingeniería de ingenio (Being Savage): Adam Savage takes us into an unpredictable world as he takes on the most absurd, original challenges that only he could dream up. From pop culture to legend, folklore to little-known science fact, this series features Savage as he obsessively engineers inventive builds to – of course – learn something new.
- Expedición a lo desconocido T3 (Expedition Unknown S3): Intrigued by legendary mysteries and driven by curiosity, Josh Gates is on a mission for answers. This series chronicles his global adventures, investigating iconic unsolved events, lost cities, buried treasures and other puzzling stories. Whether he's trekking through Fiji in search of Amelia Earhart's remains or diving the deep seas of Panama to locate Captain Morgan's pirate ship, each of Gates' expeditions lead him one step closer to the truth.
- Alaska: hombres primitivos T5 (Alaskan Bush People S5): The Brown clan is pushed to their limit as they navigate obstacles rebuilding their home in the wilderness, while Ami continues her incredible recovery from her fight against cancer and Noah faces a new adventure: fatherhood.
- Alaska: la última frontera T9 (Alaska: The Last Frontier S9): For three generations, the Kilcher family has lived off the land -and off the grid - at their 600-acre homestead in Homer, Alaska. This season chronicles their adventures as they attempt to live a simple life, by their own rules. But freedom comes at a price and there will be hell to pay if this family of 21st century pioneers doesn't do what it takes to make it through winter before the freeze.
- Vidas remotas (Homestead Rescue S3): For the hundreds of families who decide to move entirely off-grid, the learning curve is steep. Even the most resourceful and determined families often succumb to their first winter, monsoon or drought season. In a last-ditch effort to save their homesteads, these families call in survival experts to prepare them for nature's worst and force the ultimate decision: stay to tough out their first year, or pack it up and go back to civilization.
Specials and Stunts
- Murallas (The Wall): Shot in stunning 4K, this compelling series explores six of the world's most iconic walls and borders. It features the border between the USA and Mexico, the Korean DMZ, the Israel-Palestine Separation Barrier, the walled communities in Northern Ireland, Cyprus's Green Line, and the now demolished Berlin Wall. Each episode uncovers the human stories behind these walls and asks why they were built, how they affect lives, and what happens when they come down.
- Momias al descubierto (Mummies Unwrapped): World-renowned Egyptologist and mummy expert Ramy Romany travels the globe in search of forgotten history and extraordinary secrets. Using his experience decoding the dead as well as cutting-edge technology that will unearth new discoveries, Romany's promises to unlock clues to mysteries that have endured for centuries.
- Everest: el primer escalador (Everest: The First Ascent): One of the greatest achievements of mankind is also one of the greatest mysteries: was Sir Hillary actually the first person to summit Everest? Now, using state-of-the-art technology and a team of daring explorers, we're ready to unlock the secret at the top of the world's highest peak.
- Ripley: aunque usted no lo crea (Ripley's Believe It or Not): Ripley's Believe It or Not! is making yet another return, 100 years after Robert L. Ripley launched the brand. The iconic series is being rebooted with Bruce Campbell (Evil Dead, Burn Notice) as host and executive producer and will showcase the most astonishing, real and one-of-a-kind stories from all parts of the globe.
- Justicieros (Lone Star Justice): Tyler, Texas might be a town of just 100,000 people, but the violent crime rate is way higher than the national average. Three of the county's top law enforcers - JB Smith, Joe Rasco, and Pamela Dunklin – will stop at nothing to catch these outlaws and put them away for good. For the first time, this dynamic trio shares their most shocking investigations.
- La verdad con Sunny Hostin (The Whole Truth with Sunny Hostin): Former Prosecutor Sunny Hostin (a co-host of "The View" and senior legal correspondent for ABC News) travels across the United States to explore the stories behind some of the nation's most notorious homicide. In an effort to understand the effects of crime on the people impacted, Hostin will examine evidence with law enforcement, forensic experts, prosecutors and defense attorneys assigned to the case. Finally, she will detail how evidence is gathered and take viewers through a trial.
- Persecución con John Walsh T2 (In Pursuit with John Walsh S2): John Walsh continues his lifelong mission to track down fugitives on the run and find missing children. In each hour-long episode, John tells the time-sensitive stories of two fugitives and two missing children, through the eyes of family members, friends and authorities who are desperate for resolution. He is joined by his son, Callahan, who leads the operation on the ground, working in tandem with the community and local authorities to solve the cases.
- Vestido de novia (Local version of Say Yes to the Dress; Original): Part fashion show, part bridal story, part family therapy. Our dress consultants will stop at nothing to make each bride completely satisfied on what may be the single most important day of their lives.
- Llévame al altar (Drag Me Down the Aisle): A trio of amazing, confident, style-forward drag queens will surprise an engaged plain jane without a sense of style, and help transform her into a gorgeous, show-stopping bride.
- Vestido de novia: Estados Unidos (Say Yes to the Dress America): In this brand-new, unprecedented series, Say Yes to the Dress America will select one bride from every state, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico, for a wedding experience unlike any other! Each bride will receive an all-expenses paid trip to NYC; a private shopping event at the world-renowned wedding salon, Kleinfeld Bridal; a TLC-hosted pre-wedding reception; and an extraordinary, group wedding (with all 52 couples) at an iconic NYC location where host and bridal expert Randy Fenoli will officiate!
- Todo en 90 días (90 Day Fiancé): Is three months enough time to decide your future? In the name of true love, is anything possible? Mark your calendar and get to know your fiancé and America fast, because you only have 90 days to wed! This series intercuts the journeys of two international couples as they both attempt to overcome cultural barriers and family drama in search of a true love that knows no borders.
- Todo en 90 días: antes del viaje (90 Day Fiancé: Before the 90 Days): What happens BEFORE the 90 days when couples who have an existing relationship online but haven't yet met in person? This series follows their journey as they travel to the other's foreign country to establish a relationship – at the recommendation of the US government to prove they are a legitimate couple – before ultimately applying for the essential K-1 visa.
- Todo en 90 días: ¿felices por siempre? (90 Day Fiancé: Happily Ever After?) This fish-out-of-water series follows some of 90 Day Fiancé's most popular couples from all seasons to date, showing they are navigating life as married couples.
- La familia Chantel (The Family Chantel): The most talked about couple from the hit series 90 Day Fiancé, Chantel Everett and Pedro Jimeno, lied to their families about their engagement – and now what? This explosive all-new series follows Chantel and Pedro – plus Chantel's entire family - as they attempt to unite their very different families and traditions in hopes of a happily ever after for all.
- Juntas y revueltas (sMothered): This series explores the world of overly co-dependent mother-daughter duos, showcasing how too close for comfort they can get.
- Una gran familia T4 (7 Little Johnston's S4): The Johnstons, the world's biggest known little family, are back. Trent and Amber move the brood to a new house and are excited to start making memories, but they soon discover that their new home isn't as perfect as it looks on the outside. This season also sees daughter Elizabeth coping with a painful breakup but trying to rebound by focusing on a local art show.
- Los Waldrop: ahora somos once T2 (Sweet Home Sextuplets S2): Courtney and Eric Waldrop were high school sweethearts from Albertville, Alabama who have a young son, two twin boys…and now sextuplets. This second season, we get a front row seat to how they manage their bustling household.
- A fuego rápido (Original): In this cooking competition show, teams will work together to create unique dishes to amaze the judges and audience. But there's a twist – the teams all share something in common that will ultimately bring them apart. In this battle that's about more than simple culinary chops, who will prevail?
- Cocina en familia (Family Food Showdown): The family that cooks together stays together! And those that cook well together have the chance to win $10,000. We're pitting the best cooking families up against each other to see which one reigns supreme. Can they work as a team to blow away our culinary experts?
- La lista de los Flay (The Flay List): Bobby and his daughter Sophie share a love for food. Together, they tackle one location at a time experiencing each other's favorite places and dishes.
- A todo horno (Kids Baking Championship): After a nationwide search, eight kid bakers have emerged as contenders for the title of Kids Baking Champion. Hosts and judges Duff Goldman and Valerie Bertinelli lead these talented young bakers through tasty challenges.
- Primos Astutos (Original): Two cousins - and experts in design and construction - go undercover to surprise one neighborhood hero with the home renovation of a lifetime. They sneak in while the homeowner is away, bringing in their team of transformers to work around the clock. They join forces with the entire neighborhood to celebrate their hero in the biggest way possible: revealing the stunning home makeover.
- Christina en la costa (Christina on the Coast): Christina El Moussa (Flip or Flop) is expanding her design business, pairing up with homeowners whose dated coastal properties need a fresh, high-end look.
- Hermanos a la obra: la casa soñada (Property Brothers: Forever Home): Drew and Jonathan Scott are on a mission to help couples transform their houses into forever homes: a place where they can put down roots, and happily spend their lives.
- Un nuevo comienzo (Unspouse My House): In this splashy, irreverent, design series, Orlando Soria - an expert in interior design…and getting dumped - works with one newly single client to transform their house from depressing to dazzling. With the same playful, heartfelt approach that's made him an Instagram favorite, Orlando will help someone heal their lonely heart with laughter, support, genuine understanding, pranks – and yes, design!
- Un hogar en 90 días (90 Day Dream Home): Meet the The Kleinschmidts: she's a realtor, he's a developer. This husband-and-wife team makes dream homes come true, helping clients design and build the perfect house, in the perfect spot, from the ground up – in 90 days or less.
- Guerras de Halloween (Halloween Wars): This deliciously scary series comes just when you thought it was safe to walk past that old house or take a short cut through the cemetery.
- Un desafío navideño (Christmas Cookie Challenge): Holiday cookies are more than mere sweets – they are gifts, mementos of childhood, and most certainly made with pride. In this series, five confident and daring bakers compete to prove their holiday cookie-making chops. Tough-love judges are on hand to crown the holiday cookie master, who will go home with a $10,000 prize!
- Al estilo Brady (A Very Brady Renovation): Here's the story, of a Brady home reno! With the help of an A-List host and an all-star roster of HGTV's best and brightest designers, builders and contractors, the iconic Brady home will finally be "updated" to match its iconic interior with its timeless exterior.
About Discovery U.S. Hispanic
Discovery U.S. Hispanic, a division of Discovery Communications the world's #1 pay-TV programmer, is comprised of Discovery en Español and Discovery Familia, two networks for Spanish-speaking audiences in the United States. Discovery en Español connects Spanish-speaking viewers in the U.S. to the world and all its wonder and possibilities. through quality programming focusing on bold storytelling across core genres including adventure, ingenuity, natural history, investigation and current affairs. Discovery Familia celebrates the differences in how we all live but focuses on the things that unite us. The network offers programming in the genres of modern families, relationships, food, health, home improvement and home décor. Both Discovery en Español and Discovery Familia also reach audiences across screens on the "GO" TV Everywhere apps with live streaming and On Demand content. For more information, please follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/discoveryenespanol and www.facebook.com/discoveryfamilia, Instagram: www.instagram.com/discoveryenespanol and www.instagram.com/discovery.familia.
Our GO apps: Discovery en Español: Android: http://bit.ly/2w6Spod iOS: http://apple.co/2fiMNE3
Discovery Familia: Android: http://bit.ly/2xUFz0R! iOS: http://apple.co/2xpOGVM
1 Discovery en Español and Discovery Familia have a combined 23 share of all Hispanic Cable Primetime viewing. [Source: Nielsen Live+3 Days, Hispanic Sample. P18-49 Prime= Mon-Sun, 7p-11p. 1Q19-to-date (12/31/18-3/5/19)]
2 Q1'19: Familia: +46% in A18-49, +47% in A25-54 [Source: Nielsen L+SD MIT, Hispanic sample, Broadcast & Cable SL. Prime= Mon-Sun 7p-11p. Q1'19 (12/31/18-3/31/19) vs. Q1'18 (1/1/18-4/1/18).]
3 Discovery en Español is the #1 ranked network in length of tune for 18+ (1h20') against all Spanish language Cable in 2018 - Total day Source: Nielsen, Live+3, P25-54, Total Day, YTD 2019 (through April 28), ATS
SOURCE Discovery U.S. Hispanic