SAN FRANCISCO, May 8, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Join the San Francisco Bay Area's largest bicycling celebration — Bike to Work Day — on Thursday, May 11. Presented by the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC), 511 and Kaiser Permanente, Bike to Work Day encourages local residents to try commuting on two wheels for the first time and celebrates those who bike to work regularly.
Bike to Work Day will feature dozens of morning and after-work events throughout the region and over 400 energizer stations spread across all nine Bay Area counties. The energizer stations will be open during the morning commute and many will reopen during the evening to greet bicycle commuters with free beverages, snacks, giveaways and encouragement. Riders can stop by to pick up a free Bike to Work Day canvas tote filled with goodies to fuel their commutes, including a day-of, 2-for-1 coupon for Chipotle.
Complete event information – including County-specific activities and energizer station locations – is available at YouCanBikeThere.com. A partial list of day-of events is provided below. Too far to bike to work? Try combining bicycling and transit. Go to the Bicycling tab at 511.org to learn more about bikes on transit and to plan your bike route with the BikeMapper tool.
Major Bike to Work Day Events
- 5:30-9:30 a.m. — Morning Bike to Work Day energizer stations
- 5:30-9:30 a.m. — Bike to Work Day super energizer station, Golden Gate Bridge Vista Point
- 7:00-9:30 a.m. — Bike to Work Day Pancake Breakfast at Frank Ogawa Plaza, downtown Oakland (12th Street BART station)
- 7:20-9:00 a.m. — Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority (VTA), and the City of San Jose's Movers and Shakers Bike Ride, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Library, downtown San Jose
- 7:30-8:30 a.m. — San Francisco Commuter Convoy Bike Rides with City Supervisors and officials, ending at San Francisco City Hall
- 7:30-9:30 a.m. — BTWD press conference followed by Movers and Shakers Ride at MLK Jr. Library (150 E. San Fernando St, San Jose)
- 7:30 a.m. — Mayor's Ride Celebrating the Berkeley Bike Plan, Hearst Ave and Arch St, Berkeley (map)
- 8:00 a.m. — Oakland elected officials press event, Frank Ogawa Plaza
- 8:00 a.m. — Ribbon Cutting for Walnut Ave Protected Bike Lane Next to Fremont BART, Walnut Ave at BART Way, Fremont (map)
- 8:30 a.m. — Bike to Work Day Rally, San Francisco City Hall
- 3:00-6:00 p.m. — Kaspar's Corner Happy Hour, Oakland's Temescal Neighborhood, Shattuck and Telegraph (map)
- 4:00-7:00 p.m. — Evening Bike to Work Day energizer stations
- 4:30-7:00 p.m.— Rich City Rides Happy Hour, Downtown Richmond, 15th St & Macdonald Ave.
- 5:00-8:00 p.m. — Walk Oakland Bike Oakland's Happy Hour, Latham Square, Telegraph Ave. and Broadway (map)
- 5:30 8:30 p.m. — Bike East Bay's Berkeley Happy Hour, Sports Basement (2727 Milvia St, Berkeley, near Ashby BART) (map). Learn about all East Bay and Capitol Corridor parties at BikeEastBay.org/BHH
- 6:00-8:00 p.m. – SVBC's Bike Away from Work Bash, Historic Adobe Building (157 Moffett Blvd., Mountain View)
In addition to MTC (the transportation planning, financing and coordinating agency for the nine-county San Francisco Bay Area), 511 (the region's traveler information system) and Kaiser Permanente, Bike to Work Day 2017 receives regional support from the Bay Area Air Quality Management District (BAAQMD), Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART), Clear Channel Outdoor, and Clif Bar, as well as from many sponsors at the local level. Bike to Work Day's media sponsor is NBC Bay Area-KNTV/Telemundo 48. Prizes for the Bike Commuter of the Year winners were donated by the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG), Chipotle and Mike's Bikes. Day-of 2-for-1 promotion provided by Chipotle. The event is made possible through the cooperation of thousands of volunteers, county congestion management agencies, local jurisdictions, local bicycling coalitions and MTC.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dont-miss-bike-to-work-day-on-may-11-300453569.html
SOURCE Metropolitan Transportation Commission