DETROIT, April 18, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- DTE Energy today announced that customers who participated in the energy efficiency programs the company launched in June 2009 saved $31 million last year and can expect the steps they took to result in lifetime savings of $520 million.
"Customer response to our energy efficiency programs has been extraordinary, far exceeding our expectations," said Gerry Anderson, DTE Energy president and CEO. Over a half million of our customers took control of their energy use through these programs and saved millions of dollars as a result."
Comprehensive energy legislation passed in 2008 to assure clean, affordable energy for the future was the catalyst for the company's energy efficiency initiatives. The company's Your Energy Savings programs, designed to help customers save money by saving energy, included appliance recycling, in-home energy audits, low-income weatherization assistance, and rebates and discounts on energy efficient light bulbs, programmable thermostats, clothes washers and more.
2010 results for DTE Energy's Your Energy Savings programs included:
- Nearly 23,000 old refrigerators, freezers, room air conditioners and dehumidifiers were picked up and recycled, taking energy guzzling appliances off the electrical grid.
- Over 3 million compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) were purchased by customers at prices steeply discounted by DTE Energy and sold at participating retail stores throughout southeastern Michigan.
- Close to 38,000 apartments and other multifamily housing units were outfitted with energy-saving measures like CFL bulbs, low-flow showerheads, kitchen and bathroom aerators.
- DTE Energy and local Community Action Agencies worked together to weatherize approximately 2,500 low-income homes. The company also installed energy saving measures in approximately 2,000 low-income residences. Approximately 1,650 customers living in low-income households received new energy efficient refrigerators.
- Over 15,000 customers signed-up for in-home energy consultations and audits to learn how to make their homes more energy efficient.
- More than 7,000 customers received energy efficiency kits containing CFL bulbs, low-flow showerheads, faucet aerators and more.
- Many commercial and industrial customers participated in DTE Energy energy efficiency programs. Customers submitted more than 2,700 applications for investments made in energy efficient equipment and upgrades for their business facilities. More than 5,000 business owners and trade associations participated in presentations about DTE's Energy Optimization program. DTE Energy installed more than 1,100 programmable thermostats free of charge for businesses.
Anderson said DTE Energy hopes this year to expand some of its existing programs and introduce new ones. The company expects to file an updated plan with the Michigan Public Service Commission on September 1.
"Our customers clearly are looking to us to help them manage their energy bills and we want to make sure we have the best possible programs in place to make that happen," Anderson said.
More information on DTE Energy's energy efficiency programs is available at YourEnergySavings.com.
DTE Energy (NYSE: DTE) is a Detroit-based diversified energy company involved in the development and management of energy-related businesses and services nationwide. Its operating units include Detroit Edison, an electric utility serving 2.1 million customers in Southeastern Michigan, MichCon, a natural gas utility serving 1.2 million customers in Michigan and other non-utility, energy businesses focused on power and industrial projects, coal and gas midstream, unconventional gas production and energy trading. Information about DTE Energy is available at dteenergy.com and at twitter.com/dte_energy.
SOURCE DTE Energy