CHARLOTTE, N.C., Sept. 8, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Building on a decade as a leader in sustainability, Duke Energy has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for North America for the 11th consecutive year.
In the electric utility sector, 16 North American companies were evaluated for the index, and four were selected.
"Our employees continue to make Duke Energy a smarter, more efficient and innovative energy company," said Cari Boyce, Duke Energy's vice president, policy, sustainability and stakeholder strategy. "Being part of North America's top sustainable companies for the past 11 years is strong validation of our efforts."
Since 1999, the DJSI has evaluated the sustainability of leading companies worldwide.
In selecting the top performers in each business sector, the DJSI reviews companies on several general and industry-specific topics related to economic, environmental and social dimensions.
Among them: Corporate governance, innovation management, environmental policy, climate strategy, and corporate citizenship.
The index is compiled annually by S&P Dow Jones and Zurich-based RobecoSAM (Sustainable Asset Management). More information is available at http://www.sustainability-index.com/.
Duke Energy publishes an annual Sustainability Report that summarizes its efforts to advance energy efficiency, develop renewable energy, reduce emissions and more.
The 2015 report is available online at: http://sustainabilityreport.duke-energy.com.
Some of the highlights covered:
- Since 2005, Duke Energy's U.S. carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions decreased by 28 percent, sulfur dioxide (SO2) emissions decreased by 90 percent and nitrogen oxides (NOx) emissions decreased by 68 percent.
- In 2015, Duke Energy brought more than 10 solar projects on line, totaling about 300 megawatts (MW) of capacity, and added 400 MW to its wind portfolio.
- Customers continue to benefit from rates below the national average in all customer classes and all service areas.
- One of Duke Energy's residential energy efficiency programs reached a milestone – over the past six years, customers have saved 1 terawatt-hour of energy with our Home Energy Report. That's enough to power 70,000 homes for a year.
- The company has substantially improved our performance in safety measures, including decreasing its Total Incident Case Rate (TICR) by about 30 percent in 2015 vs. 2014.
- Duke Energy's total charity giving in 2015 was $48.6 million.
- Working with states and local authorities, Duke Energy helped attract $3.5 billion in total capital investment, and more than 12,000 jobs in 2015.
About Duke Energy
Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Duke Energy is an S&P 100 Stock Index company traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DUK. More information about the company is available at duke-energy.com.
The Duke Energy News Center serves as a multimedia resource for journalists and features news releases, helpful links, photos and videos. Hosted by Duke Energy, illumination is an online destination for stories about remarkable people, innovations, and community and environmental topics. It also offers glimpses into the past and insights into the future of energy.
Contact: Randy Wheeless
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/duke-energy-named-to-top-sustainability-index-for-11th-straight-year-300324677.html
SOURCE Duke Energy