CHARLOTTE, N.C., Sept. 7, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Continuing to build on a smarter and more sustainable energy future, Duke Energy today was named to the Dow Jones Sustainability Index (DJSI) for North America for the 12th consecutive year.
In the electric utility sector, 17 North American companies were evaluated for the index, and five were selected.
"Being listed on the Dow Jones Sustainability Index for 12 straight years clearly reflects Duke Energy's commitment to operating the right way for all stakeholders – especially our customers and communities," said Cari Boyce, Duke Energy's senior vice president, stakeholder strategy and sustainability, and President, Duke Energy Foundation. "This recognition also reflects the hard work of our 29,000 employees, who strive to improve our business every day."
Since 1999, the DJSI has evaluated the sustainability of leading companies worldwide.
In selecting the top performers in each business sector, the DJSI reviews companies on several general and industry-specific topics related to economic, environmental and social dimensions.
Among them: Corporate governance, innovation management, environmental policy, climate strategy, and corporate citizenship.
The index is compiled annually by S&P Dow Jones and Zurich-based RobecoSAM (Sustainable Asset Management). More information is available at http://www.sustainability-index.com/.
Duke Energy publishes an annual Sustainability Report that summarizes its efforts to advance energy efficiency, develop renewable energy, reduce emissions and more.
The 2016 report is available online at: http://sustainabilityreport.duke-energy.com.
Some of the highlights covered:
- Since 2005, Duke Energy's U.S. carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions decreased by 29 percent, sulfur dioxide (SO2) emissions decreased by 94 percent and nitrogen oxides (NOx) emissions decreased by 70 percent.
- In 2016, Duke Energy continued to grow its renewable generation portfolio, with more than 5,400 megawatts of wind, solar and biomass capacity – owned or under contract.
- Electric customers continue to benefit from rates below the national average in all customer classes and all service areas.
- Duke Energy met its five-year (2013 to 2017) economic development goals a year early by helping attract more than 50,000 jobs and over $14 billion in capital investments to our service territories since 2013.
- Duke Energy employees led the industry with safety performance on the job.
- During 2016, foundations run by Duke Energy contributed $33.5 million to their communities.
About Duke Energy
Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Duke Energy is one of the largest energy holding companies in the United States. Its Electric Utilities and Infrastructure business unit serves approximately 7.5 million customers located in six states in the Southeast and Midwest. The company's Gas Utilities and Infrastructure business unit distributes natural gas to approximately 1.6 million customers in the Carolinas, Ohio, Kentucky and Tennessee. Its Commercial Renewables business unit operates a growing renewable energy portfolio across the United States.
Duke Energy is a Fortune 125 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DUK. More information about the company is available at duke-energy.com.
The Duke Energy News Center serves as a multimedia resource for journalists and features news releases, helpful links, photos and videos. Hosted by Duke Energy, illumination is an online destination for stories about people, innovations, and community and environmental topics. It also offers glimpses into the past and insights into the future of energy.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/duke-energy-named-to-top-sustainability-index-for-12th-straight-year-300515533.html
SOURCE Duke Energy