CINCINNATI, June 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Duke Energy (NYSE: DUK) is prepared for severe weather approaching its Midwest service territory in Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky.
Company meteorologists have been tracking and monitoring the storm and believe the region may see strong storms Wednesday that may result in power outages.
As part of its preparation, Duke Energy is checking equipment, supplies and inventories to ensure it has adequate materials to make repairs and restore power.
Storms are unpredictable. Until we are confident in the storm's path and its impact to our customers, we will not release any Duke Energy employees or contractors to assist with restoration efforts outside of our service areas.
Duke Energy offers the following customer tips:
- Be Prepared
- Check supplies and be sure to have the following items in an emergency response kit: portable radio with fresh batteries, flashlight, first-aid kit, canned or packaged food that can be prepared without cooking or refrigeration, several days' supply of drinking water.
- If someone in your home has special needs or relies on electric-powered life support equipment, determine now the actions you'd take in the event of an extended power outage (i.e., relocate your family member or have a backup generator available). Encourage other family members, friends and neighbors to do the same.
- Stay Safe
- As severe weather begins to move through the area, be watchful for downed or sagging power lines. Consider all lines energized as well as trees or limbs in contact with lines.
- Please report downed power lines to Duke Energy and your local police department.
- If a power line falls across a car that you're in, stay in the car. If you MUST get out of the car due to a fire or other immediate life-threatening situation, do your best to jump clear of the car and land on both feet. Be sure that no part of your body is touching the car when your feet touch the ground.
- Get Connected
- Visit Duke Energy's storm preparedness website www.duke-energy.com/storms for links to outage reporting tools, safety information and tips.
- Follow these social media accounts to get up-to-date information about outages and restoration efforts:
- Duke Energy's mobile-enhanced website makes it easier than ever to report an outage via your Smartphone or mobile device.
Report an Outage If you experience a power outage, let us know by calling the company's automated outage-reporting system for your specific service area:
- Ohio and Kentucky -- 800-543-5599
- Indiana -- 800-343-3525
Using these automated systems is the quickest and easiest way for customers to report their outages. By entering a phone number or Duke Energy account number, the customer's outage will be recorded in the company's system and included in restoration plans. Customers can continue to use these resources to get up-to-date information about their outages once restoration times are determined.
Headquartered in Charlotte, N.C., Duke Energy is a Fortune 250 company traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol DUK. More information about the company is available at: www.duke-energy.com.
Contact: Lew Middleton in Indiana Office: 317.838.1505 | 24-Hour: 800.559.3853
Contact: Sally Thelen in Ohio/Kentucky Office: 513.287.2432 | 24-Hour: 800.559.3853
SOURCE Duke Energy