ADA, Mich., April 15, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Renowned marathoner Kara Goucher will host a NUTRILITE® Nutritional Workshop at the Health & Fitness Expo presented by Power Balance of the Country Music Marathon® & 1/2 Marathon presented by Nissan® on Friday, April 29 at 3 p.m.
"I'm very excited to visit Nashville and be part of the whole Rock 'n' Roll Marathon experience," says Goucher. "I love connecting with other runners and feel fortunate to be able to share what I've learned along the way about good nutrition and more."
KARA GOUCHER'S RUNNING FOR WOMEN: From First Steps to Marathons was just released this month by Touchstone, an imprint of Simon & Schuster. The fully illustrated book is a comprehensive guide to running for any woman who wants to get fit, get fast, and go farther.
A sampling of Kara's top nutrition tips:
- Fat Can Be Your Friend: The good fats, that is, like from nuts, avocados and olive oil. Healthy fats, mainly the unsaturated fats in plant foods, are a critical part of a healthy diet.
- Make Caffeine Work for You: Consuming caffeine before exercise can lower your perception of how hard you're working, enabling you to train harder for a longer period. About 1.3 mg of caffeine per pound of body weight is recommended.
- Stay Hydrated All Day: Not just when you're training. Nothing will deplete your physical and mental performance faster than dehydration. Drink at least 40 to 48 ounces of water per day.
- Snack, Snack, Snack: Eating a small 150- to 250-calorie snack between meals helps sustain blood sugar, keep your central nervous system working well and helps you avoid breaking down muscle to supply the needed fuel for the brain.
- Supplement as Needed: It's extremely difficult to get from your diet all the nutrients your body needs, especially when it comes to fruits and veggies. If I could only take one supplement, it would be NUTRILITE® DOUBLE X® Vitamin/Mineral/Phytonutrient which is a really potent multivitamin that helps my body get all the nutrients it needs, even if I have an off day when it comes to eating.
Following the workshop, the book will be available for sale at the NUTRILITE Experience (www.amway.com/nutrilite) at the Expo, where Goucher will also be available to sign autographs. The Expo is at the Nashville Convention Center on 601 Commerce Street.
Hailed by the Wall Street Journal as "America's greatest hope in the marathon," Goucher is running the 2011 Boston Marathon on April 18 in her return to the 26.2 distance after the September birth of her first child. Kara has competed in the Olympics, holds the debut record for an American woman for her performance in the 2008 New York City Marathon, placed third in last month's New York City Half Marathon, and is a member of the Nike Oregon Project, training under running legend Alberto Salazar.
The nutritional workshop is being made possible by NUTRILITE (www.amway.com/nutrilite), an exclusive product of Amway (www.amway.com) and the world's leading brand of vitamin, mineral and dietary supplements (based on 2009 sales). Amway North America announced in January that Kara Goucher had signed on as a spokesperson for NUTRILITE and will endorse the brand's vitamins, minerals and dietary supplements, as well as sports nutrition and energy products, including protein bars, sports drinks and recovery products, like NUTRILITE Restore Drink Mix.
SOURCE Amway North America