HOPKINTON, Mass., Nov. 16, 2015 /PRNewswire/ --
- CDP recognizes EMC for actions to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate climate change
- Achieves "A List" status, representing 5% of the thousands of companies that participated
- Scores a perfect 100 for disclosure of climate change information, resulting in inclusion on the CDP Climate Disclosure Leadership Index
EMC Corporation has been recognized for its actions and strategies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and mitigate climate change by CDP, the international not-for-profit organization that drives sustainable economies (see related CDP news release here). EMC is among the top 5% to achieve A-List status of the thousands of companies that were independently assessed against CDP's methodology.
In addition, for the seventh time, EMC has earned its position on the Climate Disclosure Leadership Index (CDLI), which spotlights companies listed on the Standard and Poor's 500 Index (S&P 500) that have demonstrated a high level of transparency and data quality in their disclosure of climate change information. EMC scored a perfect 100, indicating the provision of robust climate data and a good understanding of corporate climate-related issues.
This recognition follows recent news that EMC, along with more than 80 other US companies, pledged their commitment to reduce emissions, increase low-carbon investments, deploy more clean energy and build more sustainable businesses by joining American Business Act on Climate Pledge.
"The influence of the corporation is mighty," said Paul Dickinson, Executive Chairman and Co-Founder, CDP. "We congratulate the A-List companies that are illuminating the path to a low carbon future through their climate leadership. The momentum of business action on climate change suggests we are reaching a tipping point, where companies are poised to achieve their full potential. They need ambitious policy at both a national and international level that will support them in this regard and will catalyze participation from industry at scale."
"We view this recognition as a reflection of EMC's commitment to a healthy global economy, environment, and society by applying our talent and technology to realize a sustainable future for all," said Kathrin Winkler, Senior Vice President and Chief Sustainability Officer, EMC Corporation. "Thank you to our people around the world, whose passion has driven the progress we've made, and will continue to make, in EMC's sustainability journey."
EMC develops and discloses science-based goals to provide customers with technology that serve the demands of data growth in ways that are both cost- and energy-efficient. Through alignment of corporate strategy with aggressive mid- and long-term emissions reduction and renewable energy targets, EMC is focused on minimizing its climate change impacts across the value chain. Specifically, in support of EMC's goal to achieve 80% absolute reduction in greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 (in accordance with the 2007 Bali Climate Declaration), by 2020 EMC Corporation pledges to:
- Realize a 40% absolute reduction of global Scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions below 2010 levels
- Obtain at least 20% of global grid electricity needs from renewable sources
- Have all hardware and software products achieve increased efficiency in each subsequent version
CDP performance scores provide a tool for institutional investors and stakeholders to assess and track corporate efforts to mitigate climate change. Scores are communicated to investors and other decision makers through various channels, including Bloomberg terminals, to help evaluate corporate preparedness for changing market demands and emissions regulation.
- Explore the 2015 CDP Global Climate Change Report here
- Read EMC's 2015 Climate Change Report here
- Read the 2014 EMC Sustainability Report here
- Visit EMC's Big Data Visualization Dashboard to see how climate change impacts bird migration, air temperature and flower blooming here
- Watch a video about how EMC and Citizen Scientists are teaming up here
- Connect with EMC on Twitter (@EMCCorp and @EMC_News), LinkedIn, Facebook and SocialSphere
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) is a global leader in enabling businesses and service providers to transform their operations and deliver IT as a service. Fundamental to this transformation is cloud computing. Through innovative products and services, EMC accelerates the journey to cloud computing, helping IT departments to store, manage, protect and analyze their most valuable asset — information — in a more agile, trusted and cost-efficient way. Additional information about EMC can be found at www.EMC.com.
EMC is a trademark of EMC Corporation in the United States and/or other countries. All other trademarks used are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE EMC Corporation