ANDOVER, Mass., July 18, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Enterasys Networks, a Siemens Enterprise Communications company, today announced the Enterasys S-Series S6, a new switch in its family of premium modular switches. The Enterasys S6 is optimized for use in virtualized data center environments, integrating seamlessly into today's cold aisle/hot aisle data center cooling architectures. The Enterasys S-Series also addresses enterprise IT requirements around the increasing mobility of their workforce and surge in the "Consumerization of IT" and virtual desktops. The Enterasys S6 features a new six-slot chassis offering up to 432 ports of Gigabit Ethernet or 96 ports of 10 Gigabit Ethernet connectivity, continuing to build on the connectivity options offered by the highly reliable Enterasys S-Series.
"Enterprises must manage the explosive growth of physical and virtual devices, while providing flexible access and maintaining security," said Ram Appalaraju, vice president of marketing at Enterasys Networks. "With the S-Series, Enterasys supports the scale and granularity that virtualized data centers require. This capability is especially important for virtual desktops, as new devices, such as iPads and smartphones, constantly require reauthorization when they come onto and leave the network."
CoreFlow2 Brings Network Automation, Visibility and Control
The S-Series incorporates Enterasys' CoreFlow2 ASIC, which is designed to classify users, devices and applications. CoreFlow2 brings advanced network automation, visibility and control to customers, enabling:
- Virtual Machine Visibility: Enterasys patented switching design is engineered to provide network operators with important visibility into how individual virtual machines are using the network, helping to curb VM sprawl.
- Application Awareness: CoreFlow2's flow-based switching automatically classifies and enforces application traffic at line rate, providing network administrators with the ability to ensure consistent application performance, whether it's for cloud applications or Web surfing.
- Future-Proofed Data Center Standards Support: The Enterasys S6 enables an easy software upgrade path to new data center standards, such as Shortest Path Bridging (SPB), Virtual Ethernet Port Aggregator (VEPA) and components of Data Center Bridging (DCB), without a disruptive and costly hardware upgrade, as is common in the industry.
- Automated Provisioning: Leveraging CoreFlow2 technology, automated provisioning of virtual and physical switches is enabled by Enterasys NMS and Data Center Manager, with single pane of glass management for both data center and unified edge access. This ensures seamless application performance in a virtualized environment.
Data Center Optimized: Meeting Cooling, Connectivity and Virtualization Requirements
The Enterasys S6 is optimized for use in data center environments, meeting the cooling, connectivity and power requirements of today's data center network fabric. The Enterasys S6 is designed for the physical network infrastructure needed to support virtualized environments, with front-to-back cooling capabilities, ideal for data centers with hot aisle/cold aisle configurations.
Furthermore, the S-Series switch family scales up to 64 million flows and more than 1 Terabit per system, providing the granularity and scale needed to manage a virtualized network as easily as a physical network. Leveraging CoreFlow2 technology, the S-Series, in conjunction with Enterasys NMS and Data Center Manager, provides a single pane of glass management for both data center and unified edge access, ensuring the highest availability for mission-critical data center applications.
Pricing and Availability
Enterasys S6 starts at $24,995 and is expected to be generally available in Q3.
- Enterasys S-Series product page
- Enterasys CoreFlow2 technology
- Managing BYO Devices in the Enterprise white paper
- Enterasys Data Center solutions
- Enterasys Data Center Fabric technology strategy brief
- Enterasys Virtual Desktop Infrastructure and the Network solution brief
About Enterasys Networks and Siemens Enterprise Communications
Siemens Enterprise Communications is a premier provider of end-to-end enterprise communications, including voice, network infrastructure and security solutions that use open, standards-based unified communications and business applications for a seamless collaboration experience. This award-winning "Open Communications" approach enables organizations to improve productivity and reduce costs through easy-to-deploy solutions that work within existing IT environments, delivering operational efficiencies. It is the foundation for the company's OpenPath® commitment that enables customers to mitigate risk and cost-effectively adopt unified communications. Jointly owned by The Gores Group and Siemens AG, Siemens Enterprise Communications includes Cycos and Enterasys Networks. For more information about Siemens Enterprise Communications or Enterasys please visit www.siemens-enterprise.com or www.enterasys.com.
SOURCE Enterasys Networks