SAN JOSE, Calif., Jan. 22, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- IoT and mobile device proliferation is accelerating Wi-Fi demand, with 3 billion devices shipping in 2018 and more than 9 billion devices in use, according to the Wi-Fi Alliance. With more devices projected to hit the market, Extreme Networks, Inc. (Nasdaq: EXTR) today announced the most powerful and integrated edge technology, featuring six new high-performance 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) indoor, outdoor and stadium Wi-Fi access points and a new family of multi-rate Gigabit switches. Products will be generally available in April.
ExtremeMobility™ 500 series 802.11ax access points, part of Extreme's Smart OmniEdge™ solution, are designed to provide unrivaled connectivity in the most dense, challenging environments, deliver leading-edge customer experiences, and ensure that infrastructure isn't a hindrance, but rather a driver of innovation and business opportunity. They deliver 4x greater capacity, so organizations can scale their networks for growth and have the bandwidth to support more devices and immersive applications.
With a proven track record and many successful stadium deployments, Extreme's stadium Wi-Fi access points are purpose-built to work with the unique physical characteristics of stadiums and other large public venues. The series includes options for under-seat and overhead mounting, as well as remote antennae programmability, giving IT teams the ability to fine-tune coverage as needed.
- Extreme is the first to leverage machine learning to monitor and learn the behavior of 802.11ax RF networks. With ExtremeAI™ for Smart OmniEdge, customers can apply artificial intelligence to auto-tune the network for optimum performance and experience, lessening the workload for network engineers and providing a path for autonomous networking at the edge.
- Customers can select from three modes of software-programmable radios to optimize for 5 GHz coverage and more efficiently support all types of devices with better performance, without requiring cable retrofits. An integrated Bluetooth radio enhances guest engagement analytics, granular locationing, and IoT connectivity.
- Built-in WPA3, the latest Wi-Fi security standard, boosts cryptographic strength for 802.11ax networks transmitting sensitive data, providing end users with the peace of mind that their wireless communications are secure.
- Combined with a new ExtremeSwitching™ X465 premium, stackable multi-rate Gigabit Ethernet switch with MACsec and 60/90W PoE, 802.11ax customers can use Extreme Fabric Connect™ capabilities to extend network security and management across a unified wired and wireless network. The X465 is available in six different models for connecting a range of edge access devices.
- Optional integration with ExtremeAnalytics™, ExtremeLocation™ and ExtremeGuest™ applications helps customers better manage connections and drill deep into application usage trends to gather critical information needed by the business to engage users, control applications and protect the network. Deployed with Extreme AirDefense®, a wireless intrusion prevention system, customers have a robust solution that not only protects their business data but meets regulatory compliance.
Mike Leibovitz, Senior Director of Product Management and Strategy, Extreme Networks
"Our customers are testing the limits of today's Wi-Fi standards daily at football games, eSports tournaments, emergency rooms, retail shops, college campuses and more. And if there is a failure – if they get it wrong – it won't just be providing a poor experience, they'll lose customers. As a Wi-Fi solutions provider for 28 NFL stadiums, as well as numerous collegiate and pro sports venues, Extreme is an expert in solving the challenging issues of dense, outdoor networking. In fact, we are the first to offer 802.11ax access points that are purpose-built for stadium environments, and we've applied those learnings across our 802.11ax family to empower businesses of all kinds to get ahead of the Wi-Fi curve and support more users, and more devices, more efficiently."
Chip Suttles, Vice President of Technology, Seattle Seahawks
"Wi-Fi technology is fundamental to the game day experience for Seahawks fans, supporting everything from point of sale, wireless ticketing and digital signage to mobile fan engagement. In fact, we've seen peak throughput on our wireless network rise from an average of 1 Gbps in 2014 to over 3 Gbps today. As we move more functions to Wi-Fi and experiment with offering more connected fan experiences such as those leveraging VR and AR, we will have a much greater need for Wi-Fi capacity, and 802.11ax solutions like those Extreme provides will be essential."
Tina Stuchell, Executive Director of Information Technology, University of Mount Union
"Between our smart classroom initiatives, growing use of IoT devices, and student demand for mobile connectivity on campus and in the residence halls, we estimate 9,000 unique devices on the network each day. We are under constant pressure to expand the bandwidth and coverage of our network. Extreme's 802.11ax technology will support a high volume of users with a variety of mobile devices, along with many types of applications, ensuring Wi-Fi connectivity is available throughout our campus for support of our initiatives, now and in the future."
Extreme at HIMSS and Mobile World Congress
To see Extreme's 802.11ax technology in action, visit Extreme in the IHP Pavilion at HIMSS 2019, February 11-15 in Orlando, or in Fira Gran Via, booth 1A26 at Mobile World Congress, February 25-28 in Barcelona.
- Connect with Extreme via Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and LinkedIn
- 802.11ax Product Page
- 802.11ax Video Series
- Smart OmniEdge Solutions Page
- ExtremeSwitching Product Page
- ExtremeMobility Product Page
- ExtremeAnalytics Product Page
- ExtremeLocation Product Page
- ExtremeGuest Product Page
- Extreme AirDefense Product Page
- Extreme's NFL Microsite
- Sports & Public Venues Solutions Page
About Extreme Networks
Extreme Networks, Inc. (EXTR) delivers software-driven solutions from the enterprise edge to the cloud that are agile, adaptive, and secure to enable digital transformation. Our 100% in-sourced services and support are number one in the industry. Even with 30,000 customers globally, including half of the Fortune 50 and some of the world's leading names in business, hospitality, retail, transportation and logistics, education, government, healthcare and manufacturing, we remain nimble and responsive to ensure customer and partner success. We call this Customer-Driven Networking™. Founded in 1996, Extreme is headquartered in San Jose, California. For more information, visit Extreme's website or call 1-888-257-3000.
Extreme Networks and the Extreme Networks logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Extreme Networks, Inc. in the United States and other countries. Other trademarks shown herein are the property of their respective owners.
SOURCE Extreme Networks, Inc.