AKRON, Ohio, Dec. 18, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- The FirstEnergy Foundation has presented surprise Gifts of the Season of $1,000 each to 12 non-profit agencies working to make lives better in Mon Power's service area.
"We're pleased to provide this surprise support to so many agencies throughout West Virginia, particularly during the holidays, when the services they provide to the least fortunate are often most vital," said Dee Lowery, president of the FirstEnergy Foundation. "The winners were chosen secretly by FirstEnergy employees, who identified organizations in their areas that do extraordinary work to make our communities better. Our goal was to focus on programs that enhance children's services, or provide additional support for organizations facing a critical need during the holiday season."
- Wetzel County Chamber of Commerce, New Martinsville – Supports families in the wake of recent flooding.
- Taylor County Project HOP2E, Grafton – Works to address hunger in Taylor County through food education, food drives and food bank distributions.
- Preston County Workshop, Reedsville – Helps people with disabilities secure gainful employment relevant to their abilities and interests.
- REACH Family Resource Center, Hinton – Provides comprehensive outreach, crisis intervention, advocacy, referrals and other services to families in need.
- Trooper Eric Workman Foundation, Ivydale – Offers youth development and outdoor programs in Clay, Braxton, Nicholas and Roane counties.
- Nicholas County Starting Points, Richwood – Offers parenting classes, gardening instruction, cooking and other programs as well as a food pantry and soup kitchen to those in need.
- High Rocks Academy, Hillsboro – Educates, empowers and inspires leadership skills in young people ages 12 to 25.
- Central WV Outreach Center, Gassaway – Provides building materials, volunteer labor and other services to those recovering from catastrophes.
- Randolph County Homeless Shelter, Elkins – Provides housing, food, clothing and other services to the local homeless population.
- TLC Pregnancy Center of Ritchie County, Harrisville – Provides critical services to low-income teens facing unplanned or distressed pregnancies.
- Pleasants County Neighbor Network, St. Marys – Offers programs, goods and services to needy families in the community.
- Pendleton County Senior and Family Services, Franklin – Offers multiple alternative long-term care programs to those who wish to remain in their homes.
These gifts are part of the FirstEnergy Foundation's "Gifts of the Season" campaign, which includes a total of 132 $1,000 gifts given to 132 non-profits across the company's six-state service area and in communities where the company does business.
The FirstEnergy Foundation is funded solely by FirstEnergy Corp. (NYSE: FE) and provides support to non-profit, tax-exempt health and human services agencies; educational organizations; cultural and arts programs and institutions; and civic groups in areas served by FirstEnergy's 10 electric operating companies and in areas where the company conducts business.
FirstEnergy is dedicated to safety, reliability and operational excellence. Its 10 electric distribution companies form one of the nation's largest investor-owned electric systems, serving customers in Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, West Virginia, Maryland and New York. Follow FirstEnergy online at www.firstenergycorp.com. Follow FirstEnergy on Twitter @FirstEnergyCorp.
View original content with multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/firstenergy-foundation-surprises-12-non-profit-agencies-in-mon-power-service-area-with-1000-gifts-of-the-season-donations-300572741.html
SOURCE FirstEnergy Corp.