RICHMOND, Va., June 17 /PRNewswire/ -- Commercializing University Technology will be the focus of a free webinar on June 29 presented by LeClairRyan and a panel of industry experts from the university and venture capital arenas.
"With the ebb and flow of investment money starting to rise again, entrepreneurs, start-ups and emerging businesses should investigate all options to start or grow their business," said veteran venture capital attorney Mike Drzal, chair of LeClairRyan's Venture Capital Practice Area Team.
Drzal will be among the panel of experts that includes: Ivelina Metcheva, Director of the Office of Technology Transfer, Virginia Commonwealth University; Mark Coburn, president, Virginia Tech Intellectual Properties; and Gerard Eldering, founder and president, Innovate Tech Ventures.
Topics to be covered during the webinar, which runs from noon to 1:00 p.m. EDT, will include:
- Why would an entrepreneur looking to start a business decide to approach a university?
- How do you shop for technology at a university?
- What does a university look for in a licensee?
- Who is responsible for market assessment?
- How does the process typically work? How do you 'do the dance?'
- What are typical license deal terms? What's negotiable/what's not?
- How does the university go about negotiating milestones? How rigid are these requirements?
- What role can the university play after the licensing deal in terms of support? What is available by way of support?
- What special considerations apply to financing university tech transfer deals?
In addition, the panel will present a case study to provide perspective and insights on the UTT process.
Those wishing to register for the webinar can do up until 11:00 a.m. on June 29 via the LeClairRyan website: www.leclairryan.com, click on the "Events" tab and scroll down to the link for "Commercializing University Technology."
For more information on LeClairRyan's Venture Capital Practice, please visit www.leclairryan.com/venture-capital.
Founded in 1988, LeClairRyan provides business counsel and client representation in corporate law and high-stakes litigation. With offices in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Virginia and Washington, D.C., the firm has approximately 300 attorneys representing a wide variety of clients throughout the nation. For more information about LeClairRyan, visit www.leclairryan.com.