ATLANTA, Nov. 16, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- Today, Georgia Power is marking the inaugural Utilities United Against Scams Day (UUAS Day). UUAS Day is a collaborative effort among the electric, gas, and water utility industries to help prevent utility service fraud through education, awareness, and customer advocacy initiatives with the goal of helping customers learn how to identify and avoid utility-related scams.
Reminders from Georgia Power to avoid scams:
- If an account becomes past due, Georgia Power will contact the customer via a prerecorded message to the primary account telephone or by letter requesting that the customer call Georgia Power to discuss the account.
- Georgia Power will never ask for a credit card or pre-paid debit card number over the phone.
- Employees are not sent into the field to collect payment in person and will not ask a customer to pay anywhere other than a business office or Authorized Payment Location.
- Delete all emails that demand immediate payment or personal information or that are from a company that is not Georgia Power.
- If a customer receives a suspicious call from someone claiming to be from Georgia Power and demanding payment to avoid disconnection, they should contact the company's 24-hour customer service line at 888-660-5890.
Georgia Power continues to work with law enforcement agencies throughout the state to identify and prosecute criminals who pose as Georgia Power employees in order to defraud customers. The company encourages customers to report scams and fraud attempts to local law enforcement and to the Federal Trade Commission at https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/. Additional information about frequent scams and how the company works to protect customers is available at www.GeorgiaPower.com/Scam.
About Georgia Power
Georgia Power is the largest subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO), America's premier energy company. Value, Reliability, Customer Service and Stewardship are the cornerstones of the company's promise to 2.5 million customers in all but four of Georgia's 159 counties. Committed to delivering clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy at rates below the national average, Georgia Power maintains a diverse, innovative generation mix that includes nuclear, 21st century coal and natural gas, as well as renewables such as solar, hydroelectric and wind. Georgia Power focuses on delivering world-class service to its customers every day and the company is consistently recognized by J.D. Power and Associates as an industry leader in customer satisfaction. For more information, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com and connect with the company on Facebook (Facebook.com/GeorgiaPower) and Twitter (Twitter.com/GeorgiaPower).
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/georgia-power-offers-tips-for-utilities-united-against-scams-day-300364438.html
SOURCE Georgia Power