FRANKFURT, Germany, Sept. 12, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- More than 60 percent of the new cars ranging from the Audi A8 hybrid and including the new Fiat Panda launched at the Frankfurt international motor show (IAA) feature GKN Driveline technology.
"The industry continues to reveal many exciting developments despite continued economic uncertainties," comments Jim Voeffray, sales and marketing director of GKN Driveline. "Alternative mobility and the 'greening' of existing technology are driving vehicle manufacturers to produce remarkable developments for the global markets. We are dedicated to play our part in helping our customers achieve their objectives."
With motoring costs and tighter legislation squeezing the motorist, car makers are committed to finding ever more creative ways to maintain mobility for customers from China to the Czech Republic to Chile. Driveline components play a major part in helping to achieve such results and at Frankfurt there are many outstanding examples, both production-ready and concepts.
Frankfurt reveals: Citroen launches its exciting DS5 HYbrid 4 using GKN Driveline's unique eDrive Systems, while BMW's fast new M5 is equipped with products from GKN Driveline's CVJ Systems and AWD Systems portfolio. There is a wide variety of GKN Driveline technology on show which underlines the company's leading position in driveline.
Rob Rickell, GKN Driveline's global engineering director, comments, "The past twelve months have been very demanding, but with our global engineering and manufacturing resources, we are well placed to develop new driveline solutions to meet the efficiency demands of the vehicle manufacturers.
"The urgent need to reduce CO2 emissions in conventional internal combustion engine cars plus the emergence of more sophisticated alternative and hybrid mobility systems, create great demands on GKN Driveline's engineering resource. We are meeting these challenges with energy, innovation and endeavour." Rickell adds that, "At Frankfurt this year we are seeing ever-increasing technology developments to keep a growing global population mobile and we have the engineering genius and the global production resources to solve our customers' problems."
GKN Driveline's acquisition of the driveline products business from Getrag, enhances GKN Driveline's position as the global leader in driveline technologies. It will be a significant step forward in accelerating GKN Driveline's growth in all-wheel drive systems and hybrid/electric drivetrains. The acquisition is expected to be finalised in late September.
GKN Driveline's product segments include:
- GKN Driveline's constant velocity joint systems provide space, weight and fuel savings with greater all around efficiency.
- GKN Driveline supplies the most extensive range of CVJ systems – used in the smallest ultra-low cost car through to the most sophisticated premium vehicle.
- GKN Driveline has full all-wheel drive systems capability.
- GKN Driveline's all-wheel drive couplings improve vehicle handling, stability and traction by intelligently distributing power and disconnecting technology can reduce drag and inertia for ultimate efficiency.
Trans Axle Solutions
- GKN Driveline produces highly durable open differentials and has the most extensive range of limited slip differentials, from the smallest super LSD to the largest electronically controlled axle locker.
- For the ultimate capability, GKN Driveline's torque vectoring solutions provide the answer.
- GKN Driveline's pioneering electric drive technology is used in 250,000 vehicles today.
- GKN Driveline's eDrives are designed for the new generation of fuel efficient, low emission electric and hybrid vehicles.
About GKN Driveline
GKN Driveline is the world's leading supplier of automotive driveline systems and solutions. As a global business serving the leading vehicle manufacturers, GKN Driveline develops, builds and supplies an extensive range of automotive driveline systems – for use in the smallest ultra low-cost car to the most sophisticated premium vehicle demanding the most complex driving dynamics.
GKN Driveline is a leading global producer of CVJ systems, AWD systems, Trans Axle solutions and eDrive systems.
About GKN Group
GKN plc is a global engineering business serving mainly the automotive, aerospace and land systems markets. It has operations in more than 30 countries, around 38,000 employees in subsidiaries and joint ventures and had sales of 4.5 billion pounds Sterling in the year to 31 December 2009. GKN plc is listed on the London Stock Exchange (LSE: GKN).
SOURCE GKN Driveline