LONDON, NEW YORK and OSPREY, Fla., March 28, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Spend on market data, analysis and news has topped USD$27 billion for the first time according to Burton-Taylor International Consulting's (part of the TP ICAP group) latest report published today. The findings show a 3.45% increase in global spend for financial information last year, reaching USD$27.48 billion.
Other key findings include:
- Bloomberg accounted for 33.40% of market share as a result of growth in its data feed and other non-terminal business. At the same time, terminal counts shrank for only the second time in company history.
- Thomson Reuters market share contracted to 23.14% from 24.24%, although revenue was flat on a constant currency basis and the company showed positive net sales in each quarter of 2016.
- S&P Global Market Intelligence grew the fastest in terms of year-on-year revenue (21.85%), half of which due to acquisition.
- Platts (11.14%), S&P Global Market Intelligence (10.91%), Moody's Analytics (10.19%) and FactSet (8.72%) delivered the highest five-year compound annual growth rates (CAGR) among market data/analysis or news vendors with at least USD500 million in global revenue.
In terms of customer demand, the report found:
- Risk & Compliance users and Research Analysts were the fastest growing customer groups in 2016. Over the past five years the greatest increase in user numbers comes from Risk & Compliance and Investment Bankers/Corporate Financiers.
- Pricing, Reference & Valuation products were in highest demand, growing an average of 8.51% per year over the five years.
- The report also indicates that demand increased sharply in the Americas and Asia, but shrank in Europe, Middle East & Africa (EMEA).
"The industry showed steady overall growth in 2016 and, in spite of rather pessimistic forecasts from market participants surveyed last year, performed surprisingly well in the Americas and Asia," says Douglas B. Taylor, founder & Managing Director of Burton-Taylor. "Although EMEA held the market back last year, MiFID II requirements and the tight regulatory environment should drive spend in all regions in 2017."
Free extracts from the report can be accessed by visiting: http://www.burton-taylor.com/research.html with the sample code FINMARKET2017. Or you can purchase the full 148 page Burton-Taylor Financial Market Data/Analysis Global Share & Segment Sizing 2017 - Key Competitors 2012-16, Global Market Share 2012-16, Global Segment Sizing 2012-16, Global Product Mix 2012-16, Global User Mix 2012-16, Global Institution Mix 2012-16 report by visiting https://burton-taylor.com/financialreport/ or by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 646 201-4152.
Earlier this year TP ICAP's data & analytics division (TP ICAP), the provider of independent real-time price information from the global OTC financial and commodity markets, acquired some of Burton-Taylor's assets.
About Burton-Taylor International Consulting (www.burton-taylor.com)
Burton-Taylor International Consulting, part of TP ICAP group, is the recognised leader in information industry market research, strategy and business consulting. Burton-Taylor Exchange, Credit, Risk, Compliance, Media Intelligence, PR and Market Data share figures are seen as industry benchmark standard globally. Burton-Taylor clients command an estimated 80% share of global revenue in the Market Data space and include the world's largest information companies and exchange groups, key government organisations and regulatory bodies on multiple continents, the largest advisory firms serving the industry and more than 30 of the most active private equity and investment companies around the world.
About TP ICAP (www.tpicap.com)
TP ICAP brings together buyers and sellers in global financial, energy and commodities markets. It is the world's largest wholesale market intermediary, with a portfolio of businesses that provide broking services, data & analytics and market intelligence, trusted by clients around the world. We operate from offices in 31 countries, supporting award-winning brokers with market-leading technology. For further information see www.tpicap.com.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/global-spend-on-financial-market-data--news-topped-27-billion-in-2016-according-to-latest-burton-taylor-report-300430311.html
SOURCE Burton-Taylor International Consulting