SAO PAULO, Jan. 15 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- GOL Linhas Aereas Inteligentes S.A. (BM&FBOVESPA: GOLL4 and NYSE: GOL), Latin America's largest low-cost and low-fare airline, completes nine years of regular commercial aviation operations today. During this period, the company increased its fleet from six to 109 operational aircraft and continued to popularize Brazilian air travel, revolutionizing the market by introducing fares capable of competing with the bus companies, attracting more first-time passengers and members of Brazil's new middle-class.
Today, with its GOL and VARIG brands, the group offers the most extensive and convenient route network in South America with more than 800 flights per day to 59 destinations in 9 countries.
Certain decisions were vital for the company's immediate success: operating a modern and standardized fleet of Boeing 737 New Generation aircraft, utilizing the internet as the company's main sales channel (paperless tickets), focusing on innovation and technology to boost results and investing in a highly efficient and committed team to guarantee excellence in service quality.
"We are proud to have transported more than 130 million passengers since the company was launched in 2001. Thanks to GOL, more people can travel by plane, the fastest, safest and most convenient transportation. We believe there are many more who have the conditions to fly but have not done so yet. In other words, we have a long growth trajectory ahead of us," declared Constantino de Oliveira Junior, CEO and co-founder of the company.
GOL's ninth year was marked by a series of innovations and achievements, including:
- Buy on Board: in addition to regular services, clients can also buy various quality products on-board.
- Revitalization of the SMILES program: Latin America's largest mileage program with 6.6 million participants. This year, the company announced partnerships with several important companies, including the Franco-Dutch Air France-KLM (Flying Blue), and the North-American American Airlines (AAdvantage), which has the highest number of flights to Brazil.
- Code-share agreements: we closed new agreements with American Airlines, Air France-KLM, Iberia and Aeromexico.
- Regular flights to Aruba, in the Caribbean: in addition to this route, the company also offers charter flights to Curacao and Punta Cana in association with tour operators and local governments.
- Expansion of Voe Facil: this program permits ticket payments in up to 36 installments and is now offered by travel agencies. The program launched its first Voe Facil store in one of the biggest middle-class shopping regions in Sao Paulo city.
- Launch of Gollog: the company's cargo transportation service announced the launch of Gollog Express, which offers door-to-door cargo deliveries with previously established deadlines.
"We are studying opportunities for further expanding our operations, launching flights in both the domestic market and high-traffic international centers," concluded Oliveira Junior.
To celebrate GOL's ninth anniversary, the Company's Documentation and History Center has launched a portal with detailed information on the company's history. The website (www.voegol.com.br/memoria *) includes a detailed timeline, statistical data, information on awards granted to GOL, social responsibility and technological innovations launched by the company, as well as pictures of every aircraft operated by GOL and VARIG and a digitalized collection of on-board magazines.
* website available only in Portuguese.
About GOL Linhas Aereas Inteligentes S.A
GOL Linhas Aereas Inteligentes S.A. (NYSE: GOL and Bovespa: GOLL4), the largest low-cost and low-fare airline in Latin America, offers around 800 daily flights to 49 destinations that connect all the important cities in Brazil and ten major destinations in South America and the Caribbean. The Company operates a young, modern fleet of Boeing 737 Next Generation aircraft, the safest and most comfortable of its class, with high aircraft utilization and efficiency levels. Fully committed to seeking innovative solutions through the use of cutting-edge technology, the Company -- via its GOL, VARIG, GOLLOG, SMILES and VOE FACIL brands -- offers its clients easy payment facilities, a wide range of complementary services and the best cost-benefit ratio in the market.
This release contains forward-looking statements relating to the prospects of the business, estimates for operating and financial results, and those related to growth prospects of GOL. These are merely projections and, as such, are based exclusively on the expectations of GOL's management concerning the future of the business and its continued access to capital to fund the Company's business plan. Such forward-looking statements depend, substantially, on changes in market conditions, government regulations, competitive pressures, the performance of the Brazilian economy and the industry, among other factors and risks disclosed in GOL's filed disclosure documents and are, therefore, subject to change without prior notice.
CONTACT: Investor Relations Leonardo Pereira - Executive VP Rodrigo Alves - Head of IR Raquel Kim - Investor Relations Mario Liao - Investor Relations Phone.: (55 11) 2128-4700 E-mail: email@example.com Website: www.voegol.com.br/ir Twitter: www.twitter.com/GOLInvest Corporate Communications Phone: (55 11) 2128-4413 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: www.twitter.com/GOLcomunicacao Media Relations Edelman (U.S and Europe): M. Smith and N. Dean Phone: 1 (212) 704-8196 / 704-4484 email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
SOURCE GOL Linhas Aereas Inteligentes S.A.