ORLANDO, Fla., April 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Golf Live Extra will begin live streaming Golf Channel 24/7 via "TV Everywhere" beginning Wednesday, April 24. Golf Live Extra, which is available via Golf Channel's digital platforms on desktop, mobile and tablets, as well as on most digital platforms of participating cable, satellite, telco and other video subscription services, will stream Golf Channel around the clock, including the network's coverage of tournaments, news, instruction and original programming.
"Golf Channel's mission to connect the world to golf will be enhanced by Golf Live Extra making the same high-quality network available to golfers anywhere, anytime and on any device," said Mike McCarley, President of Golf Channel and NBC Golf Media. "Golf Live Extra will satisfy golfers' desire to watch Golf Channel on the best screen available, whether that is on their laptop on a business trip, a tablet on the driving range or a phone on their lunch break."
Cablevision's Optimum TV, Comcast Xfinity TV, DISH, Mediacom, Suddenlink and Verizon FiOS are the first providers to offer this new service to their customers. It is anticipated that other subscription services will be added shortly. The vast majority of content on Golf Live Extra will be streamed only via "TV Everywhere" and made available on an authenticated basis to subscribers of Golf Channel's distribution partners' services.
Golf Channel, which logged the network's most-watched year ever in 2012 and is off to its fastest start ever in 2013, provides viewers with high-quality content including:
- Tournament coverage from all the major tours including the PGA TOUR, LPGA Tour, European Tour and Champions Tour. Golf Channel has been streaming golf competition on the PGA TOUR since January 2013, via "TV Everywhere" on Golf Live Extra.
- News and analysis programming including Morning Drive, Golf Central, Live From and Grey Goose 19th Hole.
- Instructional series including Playing Lessons, School of Golf, The Golf Fix, and Golf Channel Academy.
- Original productions including Feherty, The Haney Project: Michael Phelps, Big Break and In Play with Jimmy Roberts.
"Golf Channel's digital platforms have experienced tremendous growth since joining the NBC Sports Group in 2011 and Golf Live Extra furthers our mission to provide viewers the best golf content available, no matter where they are," said Rick Cordella, SVP & GM, Digital Media, NBC Sports Group. "Live streaming of Golf Channel via Golf Live Extra offers another high-quality user experience that complements all of our other platforms, whether you want to follow the professional tours, get tips on how to improve your game, or get a unique perspective from the top personalities in golf."
Golf Live Extra rounds out Golf Channel's digital portfolio, which ranked #1 among all digital properties dedicated to golf in unique visitors in February and March according to comScore. Golf Channel's digital portfolio currently includes:
- GolfChannel.com & Golf Channel Mobile: A leading resource for online coverage of golf, GolfChannel.com and Golf Channel Mobile logged their best quarter ever this past first quarter 2013, pulling in record numbers across all key metrics including visits and video starts.
- Golf Channel Academy App: The network's mobile instructional application, which features Golf Channel's extensive library of instructional videos and the ability to tap into the expertise of certified SwingFix instructors, anywhere, anytime on their mobile devices.
- GolfNow.com & GolfNow Mobile App: The largest and most comprehensive online tee time reservation service, GolfNow offers golfers more ways to stay connected to their favorite courses and tee times through the web, e-mail and iPhone and Android mobile apps.
- Golf Live Extra: Golf Channel's live streaming product for desktop, mobile and tablets, Golf Live Extra provides live streaming of the linear TV network to authenticated subscribers.
ABOUT GOLF CHANNEL:
As the fastest-growing network on television, Golf Channel is a multimedia, golf entertainment and services company based in Orlando, Fla. The Golf Channel cable network, co-founded by Arnold Palmer in 1995 and part of the NBC Sports Group, is available in more than 120 million homes worldwide through cable, satellite and wireless companies. Exclusive partnerships with the world's top tours allow Golf Channel to feature more live golf coverage than all other networks combined, added to a programming schedule distinguished by golf's best news, instruction and original programming. Golf Channel's digital platform of businesses is led by www.GolfChannel.com, a leading golf destination on the Internet, delivering unmatched coverage of the world of golf, as well as services that help the recreational player with how to play, what to play and where to play golf.
SOURCE Golf Channel